I'm back [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm back

JoeE SP9
12-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Been in the hospital since 11/14. Was released from inpatient status 12/1. Had a full laryngectomy. So, I can no longer speak. Well I'm alive and very healthy otherwise. Nobody listened to me when I could talk so I'll be able to save my breath. My medical team is very enthusiastic about a full recovery.

I have chemo and radiation therapy to look forward to. At least that's done on an outpatient basis. Being without music for my hospital stay was bad for my mental health. I've got to get some sort of personal digital player. I just really, I mean really hate headphones.

JohnMichael
12-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Welcome back and sorry to hear about the surgery but happy that your team is very enthusiastic about your recovery. Wishing you continued return to health.

Jack in Wilmington
12-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Wow Joe, that's great news that you're home and on the road to a full recovery. Do you think that you'll want to learn to sign or is it still too early to think about that? What hospital were you in?

Feanor
12-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Glad to hear you're back in circulation, Joe. You know we're all routing for your full recovery.

I've always hated headphones too, but other than that, my new iPod Touch is great.

Smokey
12-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Hope for quick recovery and good health. There is nothing worth more than good health. Not even all the money in the world :)

JoeE SP9
12-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the kind responses. I was at Albert Einstein Medical Center in Phila.
Learning Ameslan is an option. Currently I'm using a Lenovo netbook with a speech to text application. I don't have to learn anything new while using it and it has increased my typing speed.
My doctors have been mentioning some sort of electronic device. It's apparently not the same as that vibrator thing some use.
I've ordered some Grado SR80's and am looking around for a music player. I want something that plays FLAC files. Any recommendation would be helpful.

TheHills44060
12-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Keep the faith Joe! Sounds like you are one tough S.O.B.

I hope you enjoy those nice new Grado's you got :)

blackraven
12-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Glad to hear you are doing well Joe! Hang in there, that's a tough surgery to go through.

ForeverAutumn
12-03-2011, 06:07 AM
I'm happy to hear that you're on the road to recovery Joe. I hope that the rest of your treatments go well and that the time passes quickly so that you're back to full health before you know it.

LeRoy
12-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Good to have to you back Joe! Soon you will be a master of facial, eye, and telepathic expressions :)
Stay strong Joe.

JoeE SP9
12-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys. That should have read text to speech application. I now sound like Stephen Hawking. I keep a lot of answers to questions I know my doctor will ask loaded and ready on a netbook.

Any suggestions for a portable player that plays FLAC files? There are plenty of iPod's available but I would prefer using FLAC files.

Geoffcin
12-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Glad to have you back, and wishing your life returns to normal as fast as possible.

Feanor
12-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Any suggestions for a portable player that plays FLAC files? There are plenty of iPod's available but I would prefer using FLAC files.
I convert my FLAC files to VBR MP3 using dBpoweramp Batch Converter, placing them in separate directory. I then link (but not move them) to my iTunes directory and let iTunes sync them to my iPod Touch.

This works well enough for me. It is only a tiny portion of my total music that I would ever want on my iPod. In any case, FLAC files would be quite a space hog even on a 32 GB Touch.

manlystanley
12-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Been in the hospital since 11/14. Was released from inpatient status 12/1. Had a full laryngectomy. So, I can no longer speak. Well I'm alive and very healthy otherwise. Nobody listened to me when I could talk so I'll be able to save my breath. My medical team is very enthusiastic about a full recovery.

I have chemo and radiation therapy to look forward to. At least that's done on an outpatient basis. Being without music for my hospital stay was bad for my mental health. I've got to get some sort of personal digital player. I just really, I mean really hate headphones.

Bummer. As a life long stutter, I know how difficult it can be to be speech deficient, in a speech driven world. Some advice: Try to keep a good sense of humor; if not you'll go nuts. I was at Home Depot tonight trying to get some help. Took me 10 minutes to get my point across..

Best Regards,
Stan

E-Stat
12-04-2011, 07:03 AM
I, too use FLAC for my computer based music system, but simply convert them to Apple lossless for use with an iPhone.

Worf101
12-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Glad you're back Joe and sorry to hear about your health problems. As another member of the "double nickle club" I know that things start going south after a certain age. Here's hoping your medical problems are behind you (or at least manageble) and that you're on the road to a speedy recover.

Worf

cubdog
12-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery Joe. Take care.

cubdog

kexodusc
12-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Joe, I second E-stats recommendation. I prefer FLAC, but I convert to Apple Lossless for my iPod.
Sometimes, as Feanor does, I'll convert them to vbr mp3 if I'm working out or traveling on a plane or something. For the most part in these situations, any degradation in sound quality from the filetype is negated by the activity consuming my focus (or the background noise) so the space becomes more valuable.

Glad to hear you're back on the road to recovery. Take care.

JoeE SP9
12-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all the kind thoughts. They are greatly appreciated.

I suppose I'll have to go with an iPod. There's plenty of them available on CL. I'll be spending time in doctors waiting rooms and will need some distraction (music) to make the time go faster. I've got a pair of Grado SR-80's waiting for one.

MS: I stuttered when I was younger. I finally stopped when I realized I didn't care what people thought of my stuttering. Stuttering is a lot better than having no speech at all.

I've loaded my netbook with a text to speech application and a lot of answers to questions I'm certain the doctors will ask me during my next appointment (Wed). I can't wait to see their reaction to my imitation of Stephen Hawking!

manlystanley
12-06-2011, 05:52 AM
Thanks for all the kind thoughts. They are greatly appreciated.

MS: I stuttered when I was younger. I finally stopped when I realized I didn't care what people thought of my stuttering. Stuttering is a lot better than having no speech at all.

You're the man Joe! Very good points. I appreciate the feedback.

Also, take care. I can only imagine what your going through now. But it must take a huge amount of courage. More then I've got.....

Best Regards,
Stan

Mr Peabody
12-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Well good to have you back JoeE, I also hope the best for you with what you are dealing with.

I use a text to speech program called Jaws, just curious what you have? I hear Apple product (computers) have speech built in already but I have yet to switch. May be a good time if I can't get my home computer to where I can access AR when I wish.

RGA
12-07-2011, 05:14 AM
Glad to see that you're ok and back at it.

Woochifer
12-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Joe -

Good to see you back, but sorry to hear about your health difficulties. Since we all communicate by text on this board anyway, you're as good as new, as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

JoeE SP9
12-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Well good to have you back JoeE, I also hope the best for you with what you are dealing with.

I use a text to speech program called Jaws, just curious what you have? I hear Apple product (computers) have speech built in already but I have yet to switch. May be a good time if I can't get my home computer to where I can access AR when I wish.
I'm currently using Natural Reader 9. Any text I type in any application can be verbalized by highlighting it and pressing Ctrl+F9.

texlle
12-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Hi Joe. Gotta say, I am truly humbled by your courage and upbeat attitude. I can't imagine what you're going through. As an owner of sr-80s for the past 4 years, I can say they're a good purchase. Very airy with a good sense of detail. I use them with an iphone 4 when i travel and am quite pleased with the sq. Apple products are designed to be geared towards music fanatics and have some of the best bang for dollar internal amps you will find in terms of portable devices, imo. I wish you the best in your recovery.

JoeE SP9
12-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks again for all the kind thoughts. I've never considered my self brave or any of that. I'm just trying to make the best out of my situation.

As for headphones; I gave a pair of Stax electrostatic phones to a buddy. That's how much I dislike headphones. Sound coming from inside my head has always seemed "creepy" to me. The SR-80's I just bought sound pretty good but the sound still comes from inside my head (creepy). I'm looking on the local CL for an iPod. It's not as easy as it would seem. Everyone doesn't leave an email address as a contact method. I can't talk to or leave verbal messages. No email address for response I don't bother.

Got an appointment this afternoon with my oncologist. This means a couple of hours doing nothing. That's why I need portable sound. I do have big fun using my notebook to answer receptionists questions. It's especially fun when I've anticipated the question and have an answer ready for them.

hifitommy
12-11-2011, 09:59 AM
joe, glad to see you back with us. when you mentioned surgery i immediately hoped it was a hernia or TURP and was floored to read that it was such a life changing reality. it sounds like you have the emotional strength to weather through this and that is at least half of the battle. please accept my empathy for your situation.

as much as an ipod can be a benefit, i have myself considered using my smart phone (an Evo Shift). who knows, an iphone may be better. you can get apps for net radio stations such as kcsm.org and kkjz.org. one of my favorites is kcrw.org elcectic24 which plays a lot of new and different music as well as other interesting if not new music. you might hear a miles davis piece like 'so what' or the skyliners from 1959.

i also am not much of a headphone devotee but they do have their applications. it could be to your benefit to get a listen to some Etymotics. my daughter swears by them and i like them as well. i have had grado SR60s since corey greenberg gushed about them long ago and i use the sennheiser earpads for 414s on them for comfort and the sound is just great. the pads are quite affordable if bought directly from sennheiser (buy 2 pair and youll be set for a long time). i am quite sure they will fit the 80s.

well continue to hang in there and i expect your substantial contributions here to continue long into the future.

JoeE SP9
12-11-2011, 04:52 PM
I picked up a pair of SR-80's. They'll do for now. I'm following my local CL for an iPod. Trying to find what I want in an ad that allows email communication.

I already had a cell phone. I canceled the service Friday. I can't justify buying another when I can't use it for it's primary purpose.

hifitommy
12-11-2011, 04:57 PM
ooopsy, i just didnt think that one out. what a life event! i have had a few but nothing quite like yours.

i can join with you in that your hearing is intact. the only thing i might see a phone for you is the texting which is an effective form of communication. the smart phones also allow internet access also and GPS in your hand.

i am sure that for the here and now you may have an aversion to phones. please accept my lame excuse for inattention.

tube fan
12-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Joe, good to see you back. I have had my own health problems: skin and prostate cancer, a bad back. Recently, I had a kidney stone. If my back pain was an 8 on a 10 point scale, my kidney stone was a 90!!! On the first day of my kidney stone event, I felt that I was dying. On the third day I feared that I would NOT die!!! Fortunately, when the stone passes all is well. Music (and grass) helps also.

joe.1412
12-26-2011, 06:26 PM
hope you feel better man

JoeE SP9
12-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Joe, good to see you back. I have had my own health problems: skin and prostate cancer, a bad back. Recently, I had a kidney stone. If my back pain was an 8 on a 10 point scale, my kidney stone was a 90!!! On the first day of my kidney stone event, I felt that I was dying. On the third day I feared that I would NOT die!!! Fortunately, when the stone passes all is well. Music (and grass) helps also.

Totally agree with you about the music and grass. Although smoking with a tracheotomy requires some ingenuity it's worth the effort, especially after chemotherapy.

manlystanley
01-06-2012, 07:18 AM
So how things going with the treatment?

Best Regards,
Stan

JoeE SP9
01-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks you so very much for asking MS. Things are moving along. Currently I'm getting daily of radiation therapy. It's not painful just tedious and debilitating. When this regimen is complete I'll be switched to chemo. I try to be optimistic and live life to the fullest.

Saw my ENT doctor today for routine maintenance. He's sending me to a speech pathologist. He says she can teach me to talk after a fashion. I was expecting them to throw one of those vibrator things you hold to your throat.at me. Well, we'll find out.

I've been carrying a netbook around with a text to speech program installed. It works fairly well.

manlystanley
01-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Hello Joe,
Glad to hear the treatment is going well. Keep up the good work. I know you must be having lots of roller coaster emotions. I'd love to hear updates on how things are going.

Best Regards,
Stan

tube fan
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Joe, live every minute like it's your last. I believe that art is mankind's highest achievement, and audio art is the the very highest.

Poultrygeist
02-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Hey Joe,

Since you live in Philly is it true that Eagles' fans boo'ed Santa Claus when he came on the field?

Thank God we get Tastykakes in the south.

manlystanley
02-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Joe, live every minute like it's your last. I believe that art is mankind's highest achievement, and audio art is the the very highest.

Yea man!!! In fact I'm groven some good tunes..........