found new subwoofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : found new subwoofer

Yourdemise
11-30-2011, 01:27 AM
hello just recently i found this old subwoofer, it was by its self on the side of a road but it does work and everything but it came with no remote. I gather its pretty old because there is no website and no info i can find on it but it has no controls to crank it up, any idea what i can do? the brand of the sub is XMS

Feanor
11-30-2011, 06:15 AM
hello just recently i found this old subwoofer, it was by its self on the side of a road but it does work and everything but it came with no remote. I gather its pretty old because there is no website and no info i can find on it but it has no controls to crank it up, any idea what i can do? the brand of the sub is XMS
More subs than no don't come with a remote. I've never heard of XMS either.

Given the doubtful provenance, lack of controls, etc., the best idea might be to return it to the roadside, or if that is littering, the local dump.

cjpremierfour
11-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Never heard of the company called XMS.

It sounds like a passive unit that needs and outboard amplifier. If that is the case, you need more information to see if it's worth spending money on.

Any chance you can post photos of the cabinet, amp section or speaker post, internal crossover components and the subwoofer's driver including the magnet? Also, how much does the sub weight and how many inches is the driver?

markw
11-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Not to be e bubble-buster but there's probably a good reason it was abandoned by the side of the road.

Mr Peabody
11-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I couldn't imagine a sub not having controls of some kind if an amp was built in, unless maybe part of some type of system where the input was balanced with the satelites already, like a HTIB. A picture of the back to see connections would be good or a description of what's on the back.