Can Anyone Still Tolerate Tom Waits? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Still Tolerate Tom Waits?

BarryL
11-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I used to be a big fan when he wrote beatnik romanticism and actually sang.

There was some good stuff up to Frank's Wild Years, but in general it was too eccentric for my tastes - turning himself into a carnival act.

Anything worth listening to on his new album?

ForeverAutumn
11-24-2011, 10:24 AM
The satellite stations that I listen to have been playing a lot of him. I don't know whether it's old or new, but I liked it enough that I was going to ask you if I could borrow a few CDs.

Rae
11-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Totally, and that nancy Brian Wilson should've stuck writing songs about surfing, too! And don't even get me started on Bob Dylan-- whatta Judas.

~Rae

nobody
11-25-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm still a big fan, and actually prefer things from Swordfishtrombones forward mostly, although Heart of Saturday Night and Blue Valentine I enjoy a lot. If you're wanting him to go back to his older guy drinking at the piano character, you're not gonna care for the new one. I think it's really good and probably the best thing he's done at least since Mule Variations. But no, it doesn't harken to his older style at all really. Maybe you get a glimpse in a couple of the ballads, but the whole thing is solidly in the camp of his later work.

BarryL
11-28-2011, 06:25 PM
You crack me up!

All I wish for Christmas is more new Tom Waits albums (and new Yes masterpieces).

Hem and Pat Metheny seem to know what they are doing though! Fountains of Wayne too. But bands I don't like need some improvin' to do!

BarryL
11-28-2011, 06:29 PM
But no, it doesn't harken to his older style at all really.

Guess I'll have to go back to listening to Al Stewart and Harry Chapin. His Tales of The Lost And Found Live album still isn't out on CD! How long must I wait?

Have to pick up Tom Waits live in Austin in '78 for a new blast from the past. And there's a new ELP live in '72 coming out!

bobsticks
11-30-2011, 07:58 PM
I listen to "Dead and Lovely" before watching Mike Hammer reruns...