Capacitor Upgrade Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Capacitor Upgrade Question

blackraven
11-23-2011, 12:42 PM
I am wanting to replace the capacitors in my 35 year old Technic's SU7600 integrated amp. My question is, how will upgrading with high quality caps change or affect the sound?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Larry

StevenSurprenant
11-24-2011, 04:36 AM
I am wanting to replace the capacitors in my 35 year old Technic's SU7600 integrated amp. My question is, how will upgrading with high quality caps change or affect the sound?

Larry

My experience with better caps is that they improve clarity and microdynamics. Said another way, they remove haze, which you may not even notice until it's gone, and improves the harmonics/timbre so that everything sounds more vibrant and realistic.

What works or doesn't work is beyond my knowledge. I tried several different brands of caps for my speakers and finally settled on Mundorf. The other caps I used sounded flat and dull in comparison. However, I don't think many people use Mundorf in their electronics and what many DIYers use varies on the equipment. There is plenty on the net that you can use for a basis.

Hyfi
11-24-2011, 12:35 PM

Larry

Along with what Steve said, more reserve for the big crashes and loud drum kicks. If they make what you need and you have the cash, look into V-Caps.

Tofurkey to you too.

Glen B
11-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Apart from the sonic improvements a total recap will bring, there is a more practical benefit. Sudden failure of old caps can cause catastrophic failure, and greater repair expense than that of a recap. Spend less on a recap now, avoid bigger expense later. On the suggestion of installing very expensive V Caps in a Technics mass market amp, I'm sorry I think this is a foolish expenditure. One or two V-Caps alone are valued more than the entire amp. One might as well completely rebuild the amp with new higher grade circuit boards, 1-percent resistors, all new input and output connectors, etc, as these would remain weak points in the chain. There are other appropriate, less expensive upgrade cap options.

basite
11-24-2011, 02:36 PM
35 years is old. :) time for a recap just for safety precautions...

I'm a nichicon fan for caps in components. For speakers I'm mundorf all the way :)

Hyfi
11-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Yeah, VCaps are a little overkill for the unit. Just the first brand that I thought of.

blackraven
11-24-2011, 03:15 PM
The amp is still running strong and sounds great. I am going to replace the 10,000uF 40v electrolytic power supply caps with Vishay Caps or Rubycon, they cost less than $10. (By the way, is there any benefit of using a higher Voltage cap like 50v or 60V as well as 12,000uF's as there is a larger selection). I am willing to spend about $100 on the amp, maybe a little more because of the sentimental value and it has the nice 1970's vintage sound along with a decent phono preamp. I have to pop the hood and see what other caps are in there. I should be able to do the recap myself as I have decent soldering skills. There is a nice thread about replacing caps on the audiocircle forum that I found that will be helpful when choosing new caps.

Thanks for the info!