I like what Audyssey did for me [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I like what Audyssey did for me

Mr Peabody
11-18-2011, 08:37 PM
My Marantz AV8003 is the first processor I've used to have an auto set up feature. So since I was used to setting it up myself and all the negative things I've heard about Audyssey and similar set up programs I just never tried it. I finally got around to running my Audyssey just to see what it could or would do, and I have to say I love what it did. My AV8003 doesn't display the crossover frequencies but it did show some interesting adjustments, like the left main EQ is different from the right, the sub distance was set at 16 feet which is at about twice as far as it actually is. I think this may be where people get in trouble, second guessing the program, it looks strange, but when you consider what it's job is, too equalize based on room conditions the settings could be very relevant. I could also see why some may at first think it sounds worse, the bass is not infringing on the rest of the sound stage, it kicks in just when it is supposed to according to the movie's sound track. I found the Audyssey set up more open and detailed. I'm sure this is attributed to simply a better balance of system and room. My HT system sounded good before and the SVS sub is excellent at blending without over powering, it's just that the Audyssey was able to make it all sound better. I have to admit "better" is relative to the listener, I for one had a positive result and wanted to share it in case any one else was like me and just never tried it.

TheHills44060
11-19-2011, 05:12 AM
I've never tried audyssey before but have had pretty good success to my ears with Rives and Velodyne's sms eq program.

recoveryone
11-19-2011, 08:33 AM
I guess it goes to show that we need to give in to technology at times, I had the same results with my mic setup that came with my AVR.

kelsci
11-19-2011, 10:31 AM
My brother has Audessey on his Denon receiver. I was impressed with the sound quality that it helped the receiver to produce. I also believe the distances from the seating position to the speakers was quite accurate using it.

Feanor
11-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Even though my Onkyo receiver has only the basic Audessey 2EQ (withoug bass EQ), I'm still very impressed with the results.

BadAssJazz
11-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Congratulations, you've just been Audysseyed! ::thumbsup:

Mr Peabody
11-19-2011, 09:21 PM
BAJ, looks like you stepped your system up since I last saw.

winston
11-20-2011, 08:22 AM
LOL Mr.P, take comfort that your not alone, (sometimes it takes a while for old dawg's to adopt to new tricks "literally"):thumbsup:

in addition to that, I'ave come to the understanding that those Processor has so many tweaks, that the longer you keep em, your more able to understand them better, cause there's tricks that y'ill never know that they can do, until you need to find out:)

BadAssJazz
11-20-2011, 09:17 AM
BAJ, looks like you stepped your system up since I last saw.

Aye, somewhat. Although being an admitted upgrade-aholic, it was the only logical thing to do. :p About this time last year I decided to go all-in on separates, not that there was anything wrong with the Pioneer Elite SC-07 AVR that I was using.

I can honestly credit the bad economy for enabling me to step up. So many have been forced to offload their prized possessions at far less than value, as was the case with the Marantz 8003, the Sonatinas MK II, and the Emotiva amps. I eagerly snatched them all up, thanking the audio gods as I went.

The last significant upgrade that I plan to make this year is adding the Oppo 95. Just waiting for the guy who bought my Oppo 93 to swing by next week and pick it up, cash in hand.

As for next year, who knows. Assuming the world doesn't end, I may relaunch the 2-channel project that I tried to start earlier this year for the home office: "Tubes & Turntables for 2012." We'll see.