Bela Fleck and the Original Flecktones show last night [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bela Fleck and the Original Flecktones show last night

Hyfi
11-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I finally got the chance to see the Original Flecktones last night after many years apart. The show was at the Keswick Theater in Glenside PA, a great venue.

Opening act, not advertised at ticket purchase time was a Pianist named Marco Benevento, a Berkly grad. Pretty boring and most people were annoyed at them tossing this guy in to waste an hour.

The Flecktones are of course, Bela Fleck - various Banjos, Howard Levy - Piano and Harmonica, Futureman - Percussion of all sorts and Drumitar, and his brother Victor Wotten - Basses.

Individually, all 4 are top class musicians and performers. As a band, they are multi Grammy winners and Bela in some way has been nominated for more awards in more genres than anyone else, ever.

We were in about the 12th row almost center so the view was pretty good. Rt stage was Futureman, then Bela, Victor, and Howard far left. Sound was very good as usual at the Keswick.

Bela played a traditional looking Bango, a purple one that was closer to an Electric Guitar, and a natural finished very wild looking 5 string.

Victor has his signature yin-yang bass, a frettless, and a blue-green one. Doesn't matter which one he plays, it is just truly amazing to watch what he does with them and without looking at what he is doing. He IS the Bass and possibly the best Bassist of today. (he snuck in a Stanley Clark-School Days rif at one point.)

Howard played a Steinway and several Harmonicas, and a tiny flute and percussion on one track. He was also killer on all instruments.

Futureman had a Drum Kit, other items including a box he sat on that when tapped had sound. He also played his own designed and built Drumitar, which is an oddly shaped almost guitar looking thing with many round buttons that when tapped play the Drums and Cymbals as if it were a full kit. Freaking incredible for sure.

They also had this freaky Einstein looking guy come up and play Fiddle on a few tracks.

When they started playing at 9pm, they made the comment that most old bands are getting back together and playing their old hits but since they have no hits, they made a new album. They played several from it but rarely stopped to say what they played. They also did The Cosmic Hippo and a few other well known tracks.

They played for 2 hours straight then an encore. Many tasteful solos and synergy all night. It was a great show and I'm glad I got to see them as a band.

On the way out, we noticed Victor is coming back on June 8th, so tickets will be in order as soon as they are announced. Last time I saw him, his brother Reggie played guitar, which is also a treat if you ever get the chance.

Highly recommended tour if you have the chance and want to see a few virtuosos do their thing together.

Finch Platte
11-20-2011, 07:57 AM
I was on a BF kick for a while, and was always enamoured with the Drumitar, as it makes more sense to me than playing a regular drum kit with all its foibles. Maybe I'll check out the new one, if you think it's a winner.

Thanks for the review, and btw, it's Wooten. :)

Hyfi
11-21-2011, 06:17 AM
I was on a BF kick for a while, and was always enamoured with the Drumitar, as it makes more sense to me than playing a regular drum kit with all its foibles. Maybe I'll check out the new one, if you think it's a winner.

Thanks for the review, and btw, it's Wooten. :)

Yeah I fat Fingered that one.

Thanks for the Pity Click. Hard to believe that there are only 2 Bela Fleck or Victor Wooten fans on this board.

Luvin Da Blues
11-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Yeah I fat Fingered that one.

Thanks for the Pity Click. Hard to believe that there are only 2 Bela Fleck or Victor Wooten fans on this board.

Three. Unfortunately my experience is limited to canned Bela and a recent PBS special. I don't imagine he will be in my neck of the woods anytime soon. :cryin:

Hyfi
11-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Three. Unfortunately my experience is limited to canned Bela and a recent PBS special. I don't imagine he will be in my neck of the woods anytime soon. :cryin:

What was the special? His film about the history of the Banjo in Africa?

I just got a copy of that to watch soon.

Luvin Da Blues
11-21-2011, 07:07 AM
What was the special? His film about the history of the Banjo in Africa?

I just got a copy of that to watch soon.

Something like that. It was hosted and narrated by Steve Martin. Great SQ and informative also. I did learn the banjo was effectively invented in Africa.

Finch Platte
11-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Something like that. It was hosted and narrated by Steve Martin. Great SQ and informative also. I did learn the banjo was effectively invented in Africa.

My favorite local record store has Steve Martin's newest, The Crow: New Songs for the 5-String Banjo in the comedy section. :frown2:

Swish
12-06-2011, 07:23 AM
I used to enjoy Bela and his band, but after so many years, everything starts to sound the same and I really can't sit through a show that's 100% instrumental...unless it's good jazz. The dazzling instrumentation just doesn't cut it for me any more.