Satellite Radio? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio?

ForeverAutumn
11-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Does anyone here have a portable satellite radio that they use in the car? You know, the kind you buy at Best Buy (not factory installed).

My car came with satellite radio and my husband loves it. I thought that I would get him a portable one for his truck, for Christmas. I'm just wondering how good the antennas are on these radios. Even with my factory antenna I hit blind spots driving past tall buildings or under bridges. Can anyone comment on the portable radios?

Thanks.

Finch Platte
11-17-2011, 11:53 AM
I have this really cool radio that doesn't use power, just some crystals. It goes nicely with this new-fangled toothbrush I got that DOESN'T NEED BATTERIES.

ForeverAutumn
11-17-2011, 01:37 PM
I have this really cool radio that doesn't use power, just some crystals. It goes nicely with this new-fangled toothbrush I got that DOESN'T NEED BATTERIES.

You can make fun of me if you want to, but you have never had to listen to the CRAP that passes for radio in Toronto.

kexodusc
11-17-2011, 03:08 PM
FA - I have a simple Sirius Sportster (I think) in my 2nd vehicle. My last 2 cars had them built in...like you, I experience the odd dropout. Gotta say, the antenna in the portable actually seems to experience this less than the other systems did. I've asked about this and heard similar feedback but, it's not unanimous. Either way, the difference isn't huge and dropouts occur occasionally. I wouldn't say quality is significantly better or worse on the portables.

I love that it adds satellite radio to the other vehicle. Think TO radio sucks? Try NB radio!

I say go for it!

Smokey
11-17-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm just wondering how good the antennas are on these radios. Even with my factory antenna I hit blind spots driving past tall buildings or under bridges.

That is a problem Inherited by all satellite radios regardless of brand. Satellites antenna have "line-of-sight" reception which mean if it can not see the satellite (building, bridges, trees, etc..), there is no signal :)

Finch Platte
11-17-2011, 04:23 PM
You can make fun of me if you want to, but you have never had to listen to the CRAP that passes for radio in Toronto.

Not making fun, just didn't have anything to say about sat radio, so I pity-posted ya. :p

And I was just about to ask on Craigslist if there are ANY radio stations around here worth a fukc- all I can find is one that plays "happy music" i.e. upbeat Michael Jackson and crap like that, or the Classick radio station (oh boy! ForeignerEaglesRushSteveMillerLedZeppelin again???). KILLMENOW.

Mr MidFi
11-18-2011, 07:07 AM
I had a 3-month trial subscription to XM, but I let it lapse. I really would rather just listen to the iPod in the car. Some people absolutely swear by it tho, so don't listen to me.

ForeverAutumn
11-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Not making fun, just didn't have anything to say about sat radio, so I pity-posted ya. :p

Well then...Thanks!....I think. :confused5:

Finch Platte
11-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Well then...Thanks!....I think. :confused5:

I was actually making fun of myself, with my lack of high-tech-ness. :thumbsup: