Real Estate - Green Aisles. Anybody hear this? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Real Estate - Green Aisles. Anybody hear this?

Swish
11-13-2011, 06:23 AM
This one is in regular rotation on Sirius XMU and I think I need the whole record. They're from Ridgewoood, NJ and have been around for about 3 years. Their debut in '09 got some good reviews, although I haven't heard it. This song is from their recent release called 'Days'. I can imagine them becoming pretty big on the Indie scene, ala the Shins and Death Cab.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dRYYCB4Ok5s?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dRYYCB4Ok5s?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Slosh
11-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I previewed their debut, then deleted it. I had no interest in hearing the new one. I don't think I'm gonna even do a 2011 YEC. Plenty of good stuff this year, but it's the same ole same ole (Decemberists, Wilco, Rob Crow, Iron & Wine, etc., etc.) so what's the point?

Swish
11-14-2011, 12:13 PM
I previewed their debut, then deleted it. I had no interest in hearing the new one. I don't think I'm gonna even do a 2011 YEC. Plenty of good stuff this year, but it's the same ole same ole (Decemberists, Wilco, Rob Crow, Iron & Wine, etc., etc.) so what's the point?

I'm not saying this has been a banner year for music, but I'm pretty pleased with much of it. I was going to sign you up for the Real Estate fan club, but I guess I won't now.

Jack in Wilmington
11-14-2011, 01:39 PM
This year I discovered two new groups that I like. Flogging Molly and Soundgarden. That could be considered a banner year for me. But it's not like the 60s and 70s when a new group came along what seemed like every other week.

Mr MidFi
11-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Ridgewood, NJ, you say? Maybe I'll give them a chance. I lived in Ridgewood for 3-1/2 years... and very formative years, they were. I became a music fan while I lived there, back in the 70s.

Slosh... I did a rough draft YEC last weekend, and it's pretty much as you say. But it's also got some Wye Oak, Kurt Vile, Bright Eyes, Boxer Rebellion, Joy Formidable, Cars, MMJ, etc. You're getting one for your birthday, like it or not. (FA will get hers in person, when Mrs_Mid and I visit TO in January.)

3LB
11-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Hate to be a dick and send this thread careening back on topic, but I actually have this one. It was rec'd to me cuz of past purchases like The Sea & Cake, Grizzly Bear, Guster, etc. Pretty spot-on comparisons in my book, though I don't get some producers infatuation with reverb these days. This CD prolly belongs in the 'chill songs' thread. And like the last efforts from Guster or Sea&Cake, nice but not particularly memorable.

ForeverAutumn
11-15-2011, 10:50 AM
You're getting one for your birthday, like it or not. (FA will get hers in person, when Mrs_Mid and I visit TO in January.)

Hooray! I'm looking forward to the visit!

Slosh, my birthday present to you is that I won't give you my YEC. :)

And, knowing that my musical opinion means squat to SwishDaddy, that video does nothing for me. I won't judge them on one song but you're not gonna find me rushing to YouTube for more.

3LB
11-15-2011, 01:53 PM
They're a tad clean-cut too, as if they'd just bathed before they went on stage. At least one guy is heavy-set with a bushy beard, but they're just not earthy enough looking to play this brand of woodsy college-folk with any degree of authenticity, like Fleet Foxes or Iron & Wine.

Stone
11-21-2011, 07:04 AM
There's a lot of new(ish) artists getting hyped this year, but most of it I haven't heard, as I've been in a used-vinyl phase.

Dum Dum Girls, Cults, Ford & Lopatin, Lykke Li, Girls, etc.