Speakers straight into the TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers straight into the TV

mnally
11-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Hi guys, I really don't know much about speakers at all. I'm after two powerful stereo speakers. The guy at JB hifi said I need kind of like a receiver/amplifier (I forget what word he used) because that will make them sound much better. So I'm just wondering, is this actually true? Or could I plug in (for example Dali Concept 1) speakers straight into my plasma and it will sound just as good or near enough?

Literally any help will be great, thanks so much!

Jack in Wilmington
11-12-2011, 06:37 AM
If your TV is like mine, it probably has maybe a 20w amplifier inside to power the built-in speakers. Your Dali speakers are rated at 25 to 100 watts. Probably not a good match. What you want are passive speakers that have a built-in amp. That would be the easiest solution. You could also get a receiver to drive the Dali speakers and hook the TV up to the receiver and let the receiver do the processing. I've gone the receiver route in the Family Room and in my audio/video room. In the bedroom, I don't have the room for speakers and a receiver, so I'm going to go the powered speaker route.

mnally
11-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Ok, thank you so much for that. I haven't bought any speakers yet, and my HDMIs on my plasma stopped working, so I need a new TV too. Are there any recommendations for passive speakers then?
Also, I would be using the TV for gaming on my xbox 360 and watching some foxtel, if that helps!

Jack in Wilmington
11-12-2011, 07:42 AM
I've read good things about Audioengine speakers. There 5+ runs around $399 for a pair. We're actually looking at what is called a soundbar speaker. It sits in front of the TV and is long but only about 4" high. It won't have the sound quality of the Audioengine, but that's not our goal with this project.

Mash
11-12-2011, 09:02 AM
compared to hi-fi loudspeakers. Add-on TV soundbars, 5.1 systems, etc can be a little better.

We need to understand that our eyes will dominate our ears, so there is some logic to chintzing on loudspeakers that are used with a TV.

This is what I did:

The "for regular TV" main speakers that I have connected as "external speakers" to a Samsung HDTV are Mackie HR824's, which are self powered and also have servo-feedback control. The low frequencies are supported by a Velodyne 15" crossed out at 80 Hz. These speakers turn on automativally when the TV is turned on. The sound is very, very good.

For really serious listening, either for music only or for special TV programs, I turn off the above and (with a master switch) turn on a tubie system: CJ-10B, a Jolida 302B ( which drives Magnepan speakers) plus a Velodyne servo-15 sub crossed out at 80 Hz.

The second setup is over the top, considering that the "for regular TV" system is so good, but it was in place first so it remains. The "regular TV" setup was added because I had a hard time justifying using the tubie setup with 95% of TV fare.

The Blu-ray and the upscaling VHS deck feed both sound systems. The TT feeds only the tubie system.

You can take this far as you wish, but do select quality and then be fastidious in your setup process.

E-Stat
11-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Or could I plug in (for example Dali Concept 1) speakers straight into my plasma and it will sound just as good or near enough?
The first question is whether or not you can do it at all. That depends upon the output options found on your TV. My now deceased Proscan did have speaker output jacks that could be wired directly to any speaker. I think you'll find that option quite rare today. With the Vizio I use in the bedroom, the only output provided is an optical digital output - which cannot directly drive speakers. I send that to an NAD HT receiver which drives the speakers. Powered speakers don't solve that issue either in my case unless they have an on board DAC with digital input and a way to send half the signal to the other speaker.

rw

mnally
11-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Ok, thank you. So IF I plugged concept speakers directly into the TV (and the TV/speakers had the in/outputs for it), would it really sound that bad for gaming and watching foxtel? Or would it be near enough? I don't really want a receiver in my room, also it would cost a few hundred. With regard to audioengine speakers, it seems they're more of an American product and I'm from Australia.

E-Stat
11-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Ok, thank you. So IF I plugged concept speakers directly into the TV (and the TV/speakers had the in/outputs for it), would it really sound that bad for gaming and watching foxtel? Or would it be near enough?
That depends upon how much power the TV had. My old one had five watts per channel which worked fine at lower levels.

I don't really want a receiver in my room, also it would cost a few hundred. With regard to audioengine speakers, it seems they're more of an American product and I'm from Australia.
Powered speakers like them - or an Australian equivalent - require a line level output from a source using an RCA jack. Once again, it all depends upon the output options found on a given TV. Look here (http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-5-Plus#gallery) at the back of one.

rw

markw
11-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Like E-stat asked (twice, so far), what options does your TV offer? On some, there are none and you're screwed.

So, what's the back of your TV have? Does it have even an earphone jack?

Now, that's three times this question has been asked.

mnally
11-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Well like I said my TV's broken, and I need a new one so I'm not sure what the back would be like. But I imagine it would at least have an rca or optical? And if needed, I could use an adapter to suit.

Jack, I've had a look at the Audioengine 5 speaker reviews and it seems like I could get the imported to Perth. They actually seem really great. Do you think they would compare to the Dali Concept 2 speakers? Because I was able to hear them in the shops, and they were absolutely mind blowing. Also, I'm really not someone who would have my speakers up loud at all, but I do obviously want good bass and clarity.

Thanks!

markw
11-14-2011, 04:27 AM
I think you're comparing powered speakers to passive ones in your post. Big mistake.

The last TV I 've seen with speaker outputs was a 32" Proscan CRT I bought about 12 years ago. I've never seen any flat-panels with them, but it's a big world out there.

Assuming your new TV has RCA Audio outputs (many don't anymore) you will probably need to control the volume from the external amplified speakers you will need to use. Passives are out of the question.

Additionally, if your new TV has only a digital output (which is more likely), along with the needs mentioned in the previous paragraph, you'll also need an digital to analog adapter as well. Something like this (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS447US447&q=digital+to+analog+audio+converter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5103419945643227171&sa=X&ei=4AjBTtL2B4Ty0gGas7HtBA&ved=0CJABEPMCMAE#).

Shop carefully.

mnally
11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Ok cheers for the heads up mate. The TV that I am really interested in getting at the moment is either the PS51D550 or PS59D550, both of which have an RCA output. With regards to controlling the volume on the speakers, and not the TV remote, this will not actually be too bad in my case because the speakers will be next to my bed and when I move out, they can be used for computer/ipod speakers (I will have room for surround sound in the next house). I will however contact Audioengine and see what they say anyway.

mnally
11-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Well at least, I take it "Audio Out L-R (Mini Jack)" means RCA output.

Hosternokke
12-08-2011, 10:15 AM
I recently bought a new TV but the speakers suck! That's why I've disabled them in the menu and hooked up my 5.1 set.
When watching movies or playing games, nothing beats a decent home cinema set.

tsweers89
12-14-2011, 08:54 PM
this is very true