Should I upgrade my receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade my receiver?

amarmistry
11-10-2011, 01:38 PM
I have a non-HDMI HK reciever with 7.1 channel analog audio which I use with my Panny DMP-BD85K. I specifically bough this Blu Ray player cause it had 7.1 channel audio output and I did not want to upgrade my receiver than.

The sound is very saitisfying. (I haven't heard how an HDMI would sound like, but I do really like sound on my current set-up). I have taken great effort to install wall plates for 7.1 channel audio and bought individual audio cable to send sound to my speakers (I only use 5.1 channel audio though). Also I spent 2k on Epson projector one year ago and I have no intention of upgrading that for 3D any time soon.

Now I am thinking of upgrading to HDMI receiver but I wonder even if it is worth it? Would I get a better sound than 7.1 analog?

Any input(ha ha) will be appreciated.

L.J.
11-10-2011, 04:20 PM
My understanding is if your player is decoding the HD audio formats, you are getting the same thing. Some one correct me if Im wrong but I don't think there's any benefit in having the AVR doing the decoding vs the player.

On the other hand, a new AVR could add some bells & whistles, use less cables, maybe have better room setup options, room correction & so on. May be worth it for those other improvements.

blackraven
11-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Unless you want to make a huge step up in price and audio performance for music, then stick with what you have if you are happy with it which it sounds like you are. Your money may be better spent on new speakers.

E-Stat
11-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Now I am thinking of upgrading to HDMI receiver but I wonder even if it is worth it? Would I get a better sound than 7.1 analog?
Based upon the way you have yours configured, you will likely not get better sound just by going HDMI. After a recent change to an HDMI based system myself, you may also find the slow switching annoying.

You could get better sound, however, by getting more than 55 watts per channel. More headroom can provide a sense of ease and clarity. As others have mentioned, there may be other features you might find valuable.

rw

amarmistry
11-11-2011, 06:18 AM
The HK AVR 335 is 55 watts per channel. However, I bought this as a HTiB with supplied speakers and Sub. They actully do out perfrom many other HTiB speakers I have heard. Also I do not listen to music (anymore) on this setup as it is now primarily used for movie watching in my basement. I will however upgrade just the speakers in future and probably get in-wall/in-ceiling and also add 2 rear ones to make it a complete 7.1 channel setup.
Since I did not want to upgrade the speakers back then, I took some effort and planning to make the installation as clean as possible with all proper wall plates and connection.
So long story short, what I hear is I will not get any significant advantage my upgrading the receiver just as yet for sake of HDMI,

Hosternokke
12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
I faced the same dillema and I've chosen to stck with my HDMI-less receiver. My Bluray/mediacenter outputs the PCM signal over optical or cinch to my receiver. HDMI has no value in my case.

Poultrygeist
12-12-2011, 03:40 AM
I have all HDMI 5.1 Marantz SR 6006 and Panasonic BRP in main HT set up and a Panasonic XR55/Panasonic BRP with 5.1 outputs in the bedroom. To tell the truth there's not that much difference in SQ. I wouldn't upgrade if you can live with the tangle of cables.

BadAssJazz
12-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Not to sound like the sleep-deprived cynic, but...

It's too late. The thought to upgrade has already taken root. You know it. You feel it. You've already decided what you're going to do. You're just hoping that someone will give you a sufficiently compelling reason to quiet the cries to upgrade in your head. We call it Silence of the Yammies...or Sonys, Denons, Onkyos, or whatever your preferred brand happens to be. Good luck with that, sir! We already know how this will end. We cannot enlighten the path, only help you see why you chose the path that you are about to take. :)

There is not a significant distinction between using 7.1analog or HDMI as far as audio quality goes. Speaking specifically to that aspect, you're fine with what you have.

But as others have mentioned, there are plenty of inducements to upgrade a receiver these days that go beyond HDMI.

Never underestimate the power of the Dark Side, errr, I meant to say of bells and whistles. Hell, people invent reasons to upgrade. I know a man who upgraded just so that he could see a little blue light turn on and the words "Dolby TrueHD" flash across the display on the receiver's LED. Yes, for that reason alone he tossed out his tried and true Denon 5803 (a flagship receiver at the time of purchase).

Once the thought of upgrade forms, all is lost. You might as well concede now. Eventually, you will. You will! Muhahahahahaha!

texlle
12-12-2011, 04:36 PM
BadAssJazz is right. You know you want to, so there's no sense in wondering what could be. On the other hand, if you want the benefit of digital audio over HDMI, you can just run a toslink or s/pdif cable, presuming your HK receiver has digital audio inputs. The only real drawback is that you do miss out on the very newest encoded formats like TrueHD and HD MA.The sound character is a bit different. Much more edgy and closed in via digital, IMO.

I upgraded from a Yamaha because well, I like music AS WELL AS movies. Yamaha! Are you listening? So I bought a pre-HDMI Rotel and let's just say I can't click my heels any higher than 2 feet off the ground. I tried...many times. Woohoo-ing didn't help. :D

DO EET!

mixpix20
01-05-2012, 08:41 PM
That is a good receiver. I am currently using a Sansui 9090 db & am in the process of connecting it to a Vizio led flat screen. I don't how to get the receiver to output the sounds of the flat screen out of the audio system's speakers?

It worked with the old TV. I had a junction box with several RCA plug sets & was able to put my iPod through the system too.

If I can get my receiver to play the sounds, I'll be satisfied. :21:

Swish
01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Not to sound like the sleep-deprived cynic, but...

It's too late. The thought to upgrade has already taken root. You know it. You feel it. You've already decided what you're going to do. You're just hoping that someone will give you a sufficiently compelling reason to quiet the cries to upgrade in your head. We call it Silence of the Yammies...or Sonys, Denons, Onkyos, or whatever your preferred brand happens to be. Good luck with that, sir! We already know how this will end. We cannot enlighten the path, only help you see why you chose the path that you are about to take. :)

There is not a significant distinction between using 7.1analog or HDMI as far as audio quality goes. Speaking specifically to that aspect, you're fine with what you have.

But as others have mentioned, there are plenty of inducements to upgrade a receiver these days that go beyond HDMI.

Never underestimate the power of the Dark Side, errr, I meant to say of bells and whistles. Hell, people invent reasons to upgrade. I know a man who upgraded just so that he could see a little blue light turn on and the words "Dolby TrueHD" flash across the display on the receiver's LED. Yes, for that reason alone he tossed out his tried and true Denon 5803 (a flagship receiver at the time of purchase).

Once the thought of upgrade forms, all is lost. You might as well concede now. Eventually, you will. You will! Muhahahahahaha!

:yesnod:

I paid a small fortune for a Rotel RSP1098 processor about 7 years ago, and it's one awesome processor. I also paid about $300 to get their HDMI 1.1 upgrade about 2 years ago. That upgrade is for video only, so I have to use optical out to get my 7.1 fix. With Blu-Ray, I need to use RCA cables to all 7 channels to get the true HD audio, or whatever they call it.

I'm so tired of looking at all the cables being my rack that I'm actually leaning toward the new Marantz AV7005 processor. My wife will kill me, of course, but I got the Silence of the Marantz!

Aaeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiii!