Life at Six Months with Emotiva [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Life at Six Months with Emotiva

E-Stat
11-09-2011, 12:15 PM
After eight years of using a NAD receiver for the HT, I decided to upgrade to separates. I wanted HDMI connectivity, more power and the flexibility of separates. I confess that I was initially concerned about quality given the rock bottom pricing they offer. I spent about the same for a UMC-1 processor and XPA-5 amplifier as I had for the T-763 which now serves duty in a bedroom.

So far, so good. The units were easy to configure and have also been trouble free. I did go through one firmware update for the UMC-1. That was a pretty straight forward procedure although it was somewhat time consuming. Overall, sound quality is a touch better and the amp certainly has more headroom. I realize that I was pushing the NAD at times and it is nice to have ample power even for Shuttle launches!

While HDMI offers somewhat simpler cabling and access to the higher resolution audio signal from Bluray sources, the need for handshaking sure is a bummer. The processor always wakes up like a drunken sailor. It powers up fine, but then must have its conversation with all the devices. Video flashes, displays "no signal", flash again, displays "no signal", cable box responds, flashes again and finally settles down to viewing. Sometimes, I have to switch on the BR player to make it happy - even if I'm just going to watch cable. So much for the instantaneous switching of "old" technology. I'm certainly glad that audio has moved in the opposite direction with respect to convenience and speed using music server/streamers and downloadable content. I would never buy an HDMI based audio system. :)

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Emotiva brand. I cracked the case of the power amp and while it is certainly not high end, the build quality is good. Its modular design should facilitate servicing should it ever require that. Two thumbs up.

rw

StevenSurprenant
11-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Reminds of of how Blueray players work. There are so many stops and starts before the movie actually begins that sometimes I think there is something wrong.

Many DVD's have too many commercials before the movie begins and no way to skip over them. You could buy a pizza for the movie and finish it before you get to the movie. Oh well...

Anyway, my XDA-1 Emotiva preamp is nice.

Apparently the benefits of your system outweighs the bad.

I was reading the features of the UMC-1 and it looks nice. Bass management appears to be much more controllable compared to my Yamaha.

E-Stat
11-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Reminds of of how Blueray players work. There are so many stops and starts before the movie actually begins that sometimes I think there is something wrong.
I can never get my "Extended Collector's Edition" of Avatar to start at the beginning. After a considerable wait, it finally resumes somewhere in the middle. Then I back it up to the beginning.

Many DVD's have too many commercials before the movie begins and no way to skip over them.
Agreed. They certainly embrace the concept of customer disservice. You can usually, however, fast forward through them when the skip function is blocked. Or just refill your beverage and visit the bathroom during all that crap and wait for the main menu. Last night, the wife and I watched a Netflix film where they played the 20th Century Fox intro three times through the many previews. Fortunately, I just had to hit skip four times. :)

I was reading the features of the UMC-1 and it looks nice. Bass management appears to be much more controllable compared to my Yamaha.
It allows for both 12 and 24 db/octave slopes and more crossover frequencies to the sub than did the NAD.

rw

Ajani
11-12-2011, 09:32 AM
'Stat, did you ever try out the Emo in your main system? If so, how did it compare to your VTLs?

E-Stat
11-12-2011, 09:53 AM
'Stat, did you ever try out the Emo in your main system? If so, how did it compare to your VTLs?
Sorry, I've been too lazy to schlep the heavy beast upstairs. I really should give it a try just to see how they do. Ironically, I spent more for each of the Harmonic Technology power cords used with the VTLs than for the XPA-5. They're now selling the amps for under $800!

rw

Ajani
11-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Sorry, I've been too lazy to schlep the heavy beast upstairs. I really should give it a try just to see how they do. Ironically, I spent more for each of the Harmonic Technology power cords used with the VTLs than for the XPA-5. They're now selling the amps for under $800!

rw

LOL... I'm not surprised you've been reluctant to move it... Having moved my XPA-2 a few times, I know what a pain in the @$$ moving it is. Amps this size really are meant to be set in place once and left there....

blackraven
11-12-2011, 05:42 PM
C'mon Ajani, I thought you were about 6'5" and about 250lbs!

Ajani
11-12-2011, 06:15 PM
C'mon Ajani, I thought you were about 6'5" and about 250lbs!

I'm just 6'2" and 250lbs :D

Ironically, I just finished weightlifting tonight... But that's a whole different scenario from lugging around an Emo amp... 75lbs with no rack handles (or anywhere to get a good grip) is not much fun to move.... I'm much more likely to throw my back out trying to move the Emo than Bench-pressing 200lb weights..

blackraven
11-12-2011, 06:23 PM
I hear ya. My Parasound weighs in at 60lbs but it has handles on the rear that makes it easier to move around.

StevenSurprenant
11-12-2011, 11:02 PM
I know what you mean. I had a Mark Levinson amp that I mailed. It was about 100 pounds. I carried it boxed into the UPS store and stood in line for a while with it on my shoulder until it became uncomfortable, then I lowered it into my arms where it slowly began sinking toward a box belonging to the customer in front of me and began crushing it, that's when I decided to put it down.

Funny thing, when I first got it, it was mailed to me and I was so excited when I picked it up that it didn't feel heavy at all. I carried it out of the building and into my car like it weighed 30 pounds.

Ajani
11-13-2011, 10:12 AM
The funny part is that the box the XPA-2 came in has very convenient handles (cutouts). So carrying the amp in the box is fine, but once you unbox that brute it's a royal pain to move. I really think manufacturers of large, heavy amps should make handles on the amp standard...

With handles like the Parasound, lifting the XPA-2 would be OK. Instead of worrying about whether I'm going to drop the amp (because I have a bad grip on it) I could focus on proper lifting form (bending at the knees and keeping my back straight)....

BadAssJazz
11-16-2011, 01:06 PM
The funny part is that the box the XPA-2 came in has very convenient handles (cutouts). So carrying the amp in the box is fine, but once you unbox that brute it's a royal pain to move. I really think manufacturers of large, heavy amps should make handles on the amp standard...

With handles like the Parasound, lifting the XPA-2 would be OK. Instead of worrying about whether I'm going to drop the amp (because I have a bad grip on it) I could focus on proper lifting form (bending at the knees and keeping my back straight)....

I think I've moved my XPA-2 only once since I got it. I had to carry it up several flights of stairs, but the adrenalin of a having a new toy helped. That sucker is staying right where it is. I've been praying that I never have a reason to service it. It's a keeper.

For those of you who have not tried the Emotiva amps, they get my highest recommendation in terms of price-performance. I can't vouch for the preamps, digital sources and speakers, but the amps are the real deal. Emotiva is currently having its annual X-mas sale now, so be sure to consider them if you need a little extra "Ooomph!" in your HT.

Mr Peabody
11-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Good feedback,

Hyfi
11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
I had back surgery earlier this year partly from moving my amps.

At the moment, I am getting reacquainted with my old giant killer, the Stratos. Another highly recommended amp that competes with more expensive amps for a good price.