Need help setting up a speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up a speaker

atlas91
11-08-2011, 08:47 PM
I recently bought some speakers to use outside but got the wrong ones. After reading around for what to get someone recommended marine speakers as they're water proof. The problem is that they're more "specialty" than what I thought. They only came with the speakers and some red/black wire that plug into the back. I don't have any experience with this so can you guys help me figure out how to convert these into regular speakers that plug in and have an audio jack?

As for the specs: 200w peak power and 4 ohm impedance. Any help appreciated.

Enochrome
11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I am not sure about your description of the speakers, but I think "Marine" speakers are full range speaker that have the tweeter and woofer in one cone. From what your are saying that there are two holes in the back of the speaker, one red and one black?

What are you plugging the speakers into? Your stereo indoors?

Well, if you want to change bare speaker wire into something you can plug into a jack then you would need what they call "banana plugs" and the best place and cheapest is Monoprice online. These would enable you to "plug" the wire into most "banana jacks" , but not RCA jacks!

Let me know if this clarified things or not?

atlas91
11-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Sorry if I didn't explain it well. They are full range speakers with both a woofer and tweeter and the only holes are for two plain wires, not jacks. It's not going to be part of a stereo, just a standalone speaker. Something I can take outside and plug an mp3 player into. What I need is a power supply I can plug into the wall and a male audio jack to plug into the mp3 player.

Poultrygeist
11-09-2011, 05:32 AM
Most marine speakers I've seen are like water proof car speakers. Holes??? Seems like they would have + (red) and - terminal tabs that use female crimp connectors. Unless they're self powered you'll need an amp to drive them. There are easier options for what you are trying to do at Parts Express.

bfalls
11-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Supply the manufacturer and model number so we can look them up to see what you're looking at. I haven't seen any passive speaker which could be driven directly from an MP3 player.

atlas91
11-09-2011, 09:07 AM
They're pyle plmr63. I should also say that they're two speakers but not connected and I only need to get one going for now. I know this is a complicated solution for an easy problem, but as long as I have the speakers I might as well use them and learn something along the way.

Enochrome
11-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Get a T-Amp (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300) from Parts Express. Put it and the wall wart in a water proff housing.

That is as convenient and cheap as it gets and has been proven to work well. If that model does not suit you, you can spend more for the higher models. Just type in "tripath" in the keyword search bar. I have seen and read many audiophiles run very expensive speakers off of t-amps and they sound awesome.These amps, for the money, have gotten very good reviews. They do not have a lot of power, but more than enough to power highly efficient full-range speakers.

Get both of those speakers going unless you have a lot of mono recordings :)

Good Luck and feel free to ask more questions :)

atlas91
11-09-2011, 10:25 AM
That's exactly what I was looking for! All I need now is a 3.5 to 3.5 jack, but I can handle that myself. Thanks so much for the help.

Poultrygeist
11-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Some of the Parts Express T-amps have 3.5 input jacks for MP3 players.

mnally
11-12-2011, 06:04 AM
testing