Two questions regarding CD player outputs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Two questions regarding CD player outputs

Poultrygeist
11-08-2011, 05:57 PM
1- I have a CD player with both RCA and XLR outputs. I've never tried using them both at the same time but will they output simultaneously to different amps?

2- Is it true that an SACD player will only send it's signal through it's analog outputs while playing SACD discs but if playing a redbook CD both the analog and digital will output simultaneously?

Hyfi
11-08-2011, 06:22 PM
1- I have a CD player with both RCA and XLR outputs. I've never tried using them both at the same time but will they output simultaneously to different amps?

2- Is it true that an SACD player will only send it's signal through it's analog outputs while playing SACD discs but if playing a redbook CD both the analog and digital will output simultaneously?

What CD Player? No info in the Manual?

As for #2

From the OPPO Manual, and sure applying to all players:

"Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or
optical digital audio output. To listen to SACD, please use the HDMI or analog audio
connections."

Poultrygeist
11-09-2011, 05:15 AM
1.- There may be info in the MHZS manual but I can't read Chinese.

Hyfi
11-09-2011, 06:46 AM
1.- There may be info in the MHZS manual but I can't read Chinese.

Google Translate works pretty well.

I know with any CDP I had that has both Analog and Digital outputs, I have used them at the same time. I would think yours should also. I doubt that using one blocks the other.

If you can think of another product with the same outputs, call and ask if theirs works that way.

Luvin Da Blues
11-09-2011, 07:40 AM
My Music Hall DAC has both the balanced and RCA outputs. They both wotk at the same time. I actually keep both of the connected to my preamp so I can switch back and forth. BTW, the tubed output is RCA only but with the XLRs it bypasses the tube stage.

Can you hook them up and see for yourself?

E-Stat
11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Many do like the GamuT CD-1 I use. You need to be careful of loading down the output stage, however, since providing both outputs is intended for flexibility. Sending the output to two low impedance power amps could affect the sound quality.

The EMM Labs transports and players will output the DSD stream, but I believe they are in a proprietary format used by their DACs.

rw

Poultrygeist
11-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Although my tube preamp has two outputs it loses gain when driving two amps. I've struggled with this issue and have resorted to simultaneously sending the analog and digital output signals to two different amps ( to bi-amp my system ). But with SACD my only option has been sharing the analog signal between amps via Y cables. So far the SQ has not been compromised by any of these connections but using the digital CDP output requires an outboard DAC in the chain and Y cables are a tangle of interconnects.

My non SACD player with balanced and unbalanced outputs has a tube stage but I would think it would be used for both. I will find out tomorrow if both outputs work at the same time.

I would love to find a SACD player with dual analog outputs but it may or may not be cheaper to go with a dual output preamp with higher gain.