New MH TT MMF-11.1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New MH TT MMF-11.1

frenchmon
11-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Looks like they finally released their new TT. mmf-11.1

It retails for $3995 and Spearit Sound had them in stock.
Music Hall MMF-11 turntable $3,995 New-In Stock!

Spearit Sound Home Page (http://www.spearitsound.com/specials.htm)

Like most things, I suspect that new price will drop.

Here's the only other link to the TT.

Music Hall MMF-11 | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-hall-mmf-11)

Jack in Wilmington
11-07-2011, 12:37 PM
That is some jump in price from the 9.1 to the 11.1. Usually when I'm looking over $1500, I start looking at the Clearaudios, the VPIs and the Acoustic Signatures. I'll keep an eye on my Music Hall dealer to see when he gets the 11.1 in stock.

frenchmon
11-07-2011, 02:55 PM
That is some jump in price from the 9.1 to the 11.1. Usually when I'm looking over $1500, I start looking at the Clearaudios, the VPIs and the Acoustic Signatures. I'll keep an eye on my Music Hall dealer to see when he gets the 11.1 in stock.

May I ask why? The 9.1 is over $1500 and is a absolutely great table....why wont you look at that table? This is very puzzling to me. Also Pro-Ject also has some great tables over that price range as well as Rega. I don't see them on your list either. I am puzzled as to why MH is left out in that price range

02audionoob
11-07-2011, 04:42 PM
I find the multiple layers of the plinth to be a little odd, once you get past two. The magnetic feet sounds like a clever idea.

frenchmon
11-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I assume its just better isolation, but you gotta wonder if its worth it after two. I'm sure some scientific engineering reason is given as well for four plinths, but in the end....it may have something to do with a wow factor in looks with four plinths and the two motors.... but I think Well Tempered has a triple layered plinth as well. I also think the MSRP will drop as well....but only because audio hobbyist like to keep up with the Jones no matter how good the less popular item is. So after the MH mmf-11.1 has poor sells it will drop in price I suspect.

Jack in Wilmington
11-07-2011, 06:30 PM
May I ask why? The 9.1 is over $1500 and is a absolutely great table....why wont you look at that table? This is very puzzling to me. Also Pro-Ject also has some great tables over that price range as well as Rega. I don't see them on your list either. I am puzzled as to why MH is left out in that price range

I have always liked the sound of the VPI tables. My Music Hall dealer also carries VPI and he would always steer me towards the VPI Classic when we started going up in price. I know he feels that MH doesn't pair their tables with good enough cartridges. That is why he upgrades the cartridge on all his MH tables that he sells.

frenchmon
11-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't know about MH not pairing well with good carts. I think Goldring is a very good cart....but thats why we buy what we like, because most of us don't like everything the same way.

02audionoob
11-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I have always liked the sound of the VPI tables. My Music Hall dealer also carries VPI and he would always steer me towards the VPI Classic when we started going up in price. I know he feels that MH doesn't pair their tables with good enough cartridges. That is why he upgrades the cartridge on all his MH tables that he sells.

What does he put on them when he upgrades?

Jack in Wilmington
11-07-2011, 07:14 PM
What does he put on them when he upgrades?

They come with a Goldring 2200 and he refits them with a Goldring 1012GX.

02audionoob
11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
They come with a Goldring 2200 and he refits them with a Goldring 1012GX.

Nice. The 2000 series seems well-received, but the 1000 series is the UK-made line. The 2000 series is made in Japan, which is fine, but I sort of think of the 1000 series as the real Goldring.

Jack in Wilmington
11-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I don't know about MH not pairing well with good carts. I think Goldring is a very good cart....but thats why we buy what we like, because most of us don't like everything the same way.

I didn't say that MH doesn't pair well with good carts. What I said is that MH doesn't pair their good tables with good carts. You even said in another post that "my cheap cart is holding my 7.1 back". MH isn't the only company that is guilty of this. I think it's part of the plug and play philosophy.

Jack in Wilmington
11-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Nice. The 2000 series seems well-received, but the 1000 series is the UK-made line. The 2000 series is made in Japan, which is fine, but I sort of think of the 1000 series as the real Goldring.

On the MMF 9.1 he sells it without a cart. or for $200 he adds the Eroica LX cart. That's a nice perk. I'm trying to get a deal like that on a VPI.

blackraven
11-07-2011, 09:37 PM
The 4 plinths seem a bit much. It is probalby for the added weight and isolation. I'm ok with the 3 plinth design in the MMF9.1. But at almost $4K I think there are other tables to consider.

frenchmon
11-08-2011, 06:03 AM
I didn't say that MH doesn't pair well with good carts. What I said is that MH doesn't pair their good tables with good carts. You even said in another post that "my cheap cart is holding my 7.1 back". MH isn't the only company that is guilty of this. I think it's part of the plug and play philosophy.

Jack...I apoligise for the confusion.

What I meant was that Goldring makes good carts. I've listened to the 7.1 with the 2400 cart and it was very good. I know people that love that cart. But we all like different things.

The 2M Red that I used on my mmf-2.1 was only a $99. cart. It sounded good on the 2.1. But when I put the 2m Red on the mmf-7.1 it was outstanding. My 2.1 never got the sound out of the 2M Red that the 7.1 is able to get.

But having said that it has reached its potential with the better arm on the 7.1. The arm with the combination of the much better isolation, acrylic platter, better internal wiring, and the better phono cables that I added is able to do so much more than what the 2M red can give....so in that way its a cheap cart, meaning that it has limits due to pricing....not because of build quality....... And the 7.1 is unable to go beyond the limits of the 2M Red.

And speaking of the 7.1, I have yet to get the full potential out of it. I am still needing a better phono amp, and cart. I think I will get myself either the 2M Black or the Grado Reference Sonata for Christmas.

I am looking at the PS audio phono amp, the Jasmine Phono amp, The Rogue phno amp, the Musical Surroundings phono amp....also my deale can get me a Whest Phono Preamp, the Whest-Two-Phonostage with a few hundred dollars off retail price. I've also thought about the Edwards Audio MC2 & PSU2 Combo....Edwards phono amps look really nice.

I am one who loves the plug and play of record players...im not one to keep adding expensive upgrades like some do with VPI tables...in fact I know two guys who sold their VPI tables after listening to the 9.1 and the Pro-Ject 10.... because they got tired of the expensive upgrades. But get this...these guys where loyal to VPI until one decided to try the Music Hall 9.1 and the other the Pro-Ject 10. They where amazed at the performance of the tables and stated that their new tables where able to sound just as good and also did some things better than the VPI. And these two guys dont even know each other, and made the claims at different times. Both guys post over at Audioasylum and vinylengine. and where puzzeled at why those tables are snubbed by audiophiles.

frenchmon
11-08-2011, 06:25 AM
The 4 plinths seem a bit much. It is probalby for the added weight and isolation. I'm ok with the 3 plinth design in the MMF9.1. But at almost $4K I think there are other tables to consider.

But at the price of the table if I had that kinda loot, I would have to consider it and take a listen...not just wave it off because its a Music Hall table.

This thing is really funny how these tables get snubbed. Its like my sister who is a kidney doctor. She only buys B&W SUV's....you talk about anything else and its not even worth it...just because it does not have the prestige of the B&W. I visit a lot of audio sites and this is the consensus about Rega and even worse Muisc hall and Pro-Ject record players in the western world when it comes to higher end tables in that price range.....strange.

02audionoob
11-08-2011, 10:48 AM
It has never bothered me any that many audiophiles turn up their noses at Rega, Pro-Ject and Music Hall. But when those guys with a garage full of thrift-store turntables from the 1970s rant about Rega without ever even hearing one I sometimes feel the need to say something. For some reason I seem to have several things the audiophiles look down on...the PS Audio GCPH, a non-vintage Audio Research amp, non-vintage ProAc speakers, a mid-level Rega...I'm just a mid-fi guy and perfectly happy with it. It's not a competition for me.

frenchmon
11-08-2011, 02:18 PM
You and me both! Tell me about the Pro Ac speakers. Speakers will be my last upgrade. Do they have a really dark background?

02audionoob
11-08-2011, 10:07 PM
My ProAc speakers are super slender towers, like the home-theater look. ProAc were apparently so set on keeping a narrow sightline they went with 4.5-inch bass drivers. So these are certainly not thunderous in the bass department. That's fine with me, though. Everything sounds pretty balanced with CD and with the Dynavector 10x4. With the Goldring 1042 it can sound a touch thin at times. The 1042 makes up for it in midrange, which is what the ProAc towers do best. The imaging is precise and the soundstage is impressive, but in the end they just get me with clear vocals and a natural, effortless sound.

Sometimes I consider moving up to one of their more massive towers, but I know there's a trade-off. I listened to a pair of ProAc D1 on an Audio Research VSi55 one day at the local audio store and thought they were fantastic. Another day I went in and the same amp was driving some of the big boys...D28, I think. I was less impressed with the clarity, although they had an even more effortless quality to my ears than the little guys did.

So where I was going with it when I bought mine was to try to get the sound of the little ones in a tower. I think I got where I wanted to go, but it was within a budget that I might increase next time. I sort of have a dream of these ProAc speakers being in the den, while the mancave gets something even better. I still don't know what those better speakers will be, since I don't have the amp for it. The ProAc speakers are cruel in revealing the inadequacies of my Adcom gear.

frenchmon
11-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the write up...I will pay closer attention to ProAc.