Possible Scam [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Possible Scam

MADCSRT8
11-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Sorry...this is gonna be a bit long so read it through before you flame me... :lol:

Because I haven't given up on finding some "affordable" used McIntosh equipment, I've been digging pretty deep on the Internet looking for sellers.

I first ran across this seller's advertisement on Audiogon and it's too good to be true.

hifiampstore is offering a 3 yr-old McIntosh MC402 two channel amp.

Being a skeptic and overly cautious when spending money online, I sent the seller some emails:

Me:

Do you still have the McIntosh MC 402?

Reply:

Hi,
Yes,still available,please shop online at my webstore we accept paypal payment only,let me know if you still interested?
Thanks
Hifiampstore.com

Me:

Yes, I am interested! I've been looking and looking for a good 2 channel amp. I had some McIntosh equipment that was "liberated" from my apartment and I am rebuilding my system.

Why so cheap? Not to sound like I question your ad but does it work? You state it's in "mint condition".

Seeing them online for much, much more, I do not to purchase a faulty or inoperative unit. Of course. I am not asking you to raise the price, either. :)

So it works OK? You willing to offer a short 90 day warranty with the purchase?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here. I'm not a rich guy, but I am a poor audiophile and don't want to shell out $800 + shipping for a bad unit.

Reply:

Hi,
The mcintosh in secondhand condition 100% full working order,I'll give you 90 days warranty,full money back guarantee if you not satisfied.I'm offering paid 50% upfront and then I'll shipped out the mcintosh and you paid the rest 50% upon arrival.
I accept paypal only.
Let me know if you still interested.
Thanks

So, rumor has it that this site is a scam. As much as I'd like a MC402 for $800, I really don't want to lose $400...

Thoughts?

ForeverAutumn
11-05-2011, 01:16 PM
First of all, welcome to AudioReview. :)

My advice is to always follow your instincts. If you think it's a scam, walk away. Unless, you're willing take a $400 risk. Does anyone else at Audiogon have experience with this seller?

markw
11-05-2011, 01:51 PM
There's always this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-oinyjsk0) to keep in mind.

I've found that generally if something seems too good to be true, it is.

Also, if there are already rumors floating around about this place of business, there's usually a reason they got started.

But, I could always be wrong.

MADCSRT8
11-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Thank you for the welcome!

I appreciate the input. I won't be going forward with a purchase from that site. I may be passing up a good deal but I'm a skeptic. It does sound too good to be true.

My local audio guys are gonna hook me up with a good amp for a good price. I know that I'll have no problems with them.

And, no...I don't feel lucky. :D