Optical or Coaxial? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Optical or Coaxial?

Doc Adams
04-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Our new Denon has four optical digital inputs and two coaxial digital inputs. The salesperson told me that it doesn't make a difference, they are equal in data transmission capability and consequently CDs or DVDs will sound equally good with either input. Something about this knaws at me. In my old day job we always used optical cable to transmit the large amount of data our networks require. Is it different for sound reproduction? Thanks!
Doc@savemypc.com

N. Abstentia
04-15-2004, 11:46 AM
No difference, digital is digital. In fact, I prefer coax because I like the connector better and the cable is far more durable.

Debbi
04-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Because I did not know any better...apparently a case can be made that they are better for long runs over 30ft.....but they are more expensive and a should not be kinked which makes them a bad choice where you have to go around sharp corners or thread them through shelf mounts etc where you cant see what is happening to the cable....

paul_pci
04-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Difference is negligible.

Coax is often cheaper and more durable, and some come with pretty colored jackets; I know mine does.

Optical is fragile but isn't subjec to RF or EM interference.

In most contexts, to notice a difference, you'd have to strain yourself so much that listening would no longer be enjoyable.

mtrycraft
04-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Our new Denon has four optical digital inputs and two coaxial digital inputs. The salesperson told me that it doesn't make a difference, they are equal in data transmission capability and consequently CDs or DVDs will sound equally good with either input. Something about this knaws at me. In my old day job we always used optical cable to transmit the large amount of data our networks require. Is it different for sound reproduction? Thanks!
Doc@savemypc.com

audio digital data stream is not large enough to matter and the transmission distance is so short. Cat 5 cables transmit a whole lot more data on thin wires, not even coax :)