Another Newbie Audio Nut... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie Audio Nut...

MADCSRT8
11-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone!

Found this form while perusing links for audio equipment. I have two needs...

1. A preamp/processor - I have absolutely no HDMI switching available to me right now. I want to re-purpose my Denon 2805 for light listening in the home office.

2. A good two channel amp, around 400WPC @ 4 ohms, to drive my front speakers for music and to see some benefits from more power in HT mode vs. driving them with my current 5 channel amp.

My current system:

Denon AVR-2805
Pioneer BDP-51FD BluRay player
Panamax 5300 EX power center
Rotel RMB-1075 5-CH amplifier
Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand towers
Vienna Acoustics Maestro Grand center
Vienna Acoustics Waltz Grand rear surround
Elemental Designs A5-350 powered subwoofer
Sonus ZonePlayer 90 + ZoneBridge
Samsung HL61A750 1080i 61” monitor
Motorola QIP6200-2 HD/FIOS set top box
Sony CDP-CX355 CD jukebox

So I am thinking I will go with a Rotel 2 ch amp (RB-1572) or two monoblocks (Emotiva UPA-1) but I am really really drawn to McIntosh equipment. I had some years ago that was "liberated" from my apartment years ago. :( But geeeez....the dang prices leave me on the outside looking in.

I did find an unbelievable price on a 3-yr old MC402 but I think it's a scam. More on that in a different thread.

So, in closing, let me say I am dang glad to be here and looking forward to learning more about audio equipment!

-Michael

RGA
11-06-2011, 11:58 PM
personally I'd avoid McIntosh other than their tube only designs. Which then don't give you the power you want - plus IMO they're grossly overpriced - you pay for the looks and the casework.

Since you already own Rotel you can consider their big power amps - Rotel offers big watt ratings for little money relatively speaking. They'd be some of my first considerations if I desired high watts for decent prices and from a name reputable company that will likely be around in 5-10 years if you need parts. You never know with newer companies without a track record.

for the processor I would probably stick to the least expensive receiver you can find that ALSO has pre-outs so that you can add your power amp to it. They generally cost less than processors and when some new feature comes out you are out a lot less money when you want to upgrade.

On the power amp side I would peruse Grant Fidelity's website - Build quality is first rate and they have big time power amplifiers.

You may want to look at the massive Shengya SS power amplifiers - they're beasts. $4,000 for the pair but they look to be very good - Another reviewer at dagogo.com reviewed the biggest ones and I reviewed the smaller power amps but these might be the ones to consider in a SS only set-up - can easily drive 2 ohm loads.

From their site:

Shengya PSM-300 monoblocks are constructed with 24 high performance transistors, 1500 watts shielded transformers, 120,000 uF filter capacitors and huge aluminum heat sink for each channel. It can easily drive 2 ohm impedance speakers and can put out 100 watts in Class A mode and 300 watts in Class A/B mode.

Features:

* Class A or Class A/B switch button
* Bi-wiring speaker connectors
* 1 set RCA / 1 set XLR inputs

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Shengya-PSM-300-Power-Amplifiers-pair.html

MADCSRT8
11-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Thank you for that insight, RGA.

I hadn't thought about using a medium priced AVR as the pre/pro. I am doing that now with the Denon but without any HDMI capability.

I think I'll do a little research on today's AVR's.

Dang, those Shengya's are quite the amp pair!

Thanks again!

GMichael
11-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I would look into getting one of last year's receivers. Most of them have 99% of what this year's models have at 1/2 the cost. The Yamaha RX-V867 looks like a great deal at $400 right now Newegg.com - YAMAHA RX-V867 7.2-Channel Digital Network Home Theater Receiver (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115284)
Coupled with an Emotiva XPA-2 Two Channel Audio Power Amplifier, 300 watts RMS x 2 into 8 ohms, 500 watts RMS x 2 into 4 ohms, at $799 would knock most people's socks off.
Emotiva Audio XPA-2 Two Channel Power Amplifier (http://emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm)

HeavyD
11-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Wudd up

Mathur
11-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Hello am from India and am glad to be a part of this website.

riteshreet
12-13-2011, 03:00 AM
Hi,

This is Ritesh from India, feeling great to be a part of this wonderful community. Searching some good and valuable information here regarding my audio and lighting equipments search.

Will be glad if I found something interesting topic here to add my knowledge base and will also share my info about audio and lighting equipments experiences.

Thanks