Digital Camera Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Question

blackraven
11-03-2011, 04:42 PM
My Canon A710 Camera stopped working. I am considering buying the Panasonic DCM ZS8. I like the 16X optical zoom and mtion video capability as well as Panasonic reliability. Does any one have any experience wiht this camera?

Thanks!

Larry

ForeverAutumn
11-03-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't have experience with that particular camera, but I'm on my third Panasonic digital camera (I keep upgrading, not because they break) and I have loved each one. I'm currently using a Panasonic FH20. I wanted something small this time around and Hubby bought me this one last Christmas. It takes great photos. The flash is the best of any digital camera that I've used. And the software is pretty intuitive. My only complaint about my camera is that I can't zoom while video recording. The zoom has to be set before you start recording and you can't change it while it's filming, so if that's important to you make sure that your camera can do that.

Hyfi
11-04-2011, 04:10 AM
I use a Cannon G11 which I love. It does great low light shots and has many modes, auto, and totally manual if you want. The flash is good and the video is very good but only 720p. Get a video camera if you want video.

The zoom and macro on the G11 is very good. Battery life is great too.

Woochifer
11-08-2011, 01:03 PM
My understanding with the Panasonics is that they use optical image stabilizers, which purportedly works better than the digital stabilization used by other manufacturers. I've been happy with the Canons, so I don't have much experience with Panasonic cameras.

GMichael
11-08-2011, 01:24 PM
I have had good luck with Canons but have read glowing reviews on the Panasonic's as well. Here is a good sight for reliable reviews and recommendations. Dave's Picks (http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM)

I am currently using the Nikon Coolpix P500. It's a fantastic point and shoot.

RGA
11-13-2011, 02:01 AM
I like my 16X Sony HX9V (with wide angle). If video is at all important it's the best one in the price class. The only problem is finding a computer that will play the video mode. 60fps is class leading and I can say the video when you can find the software to play it is stunning.

Picture quality has been excellent - it suffers a bit in night shots compared to my Nikon DSLR but in every other regard I like the Sony better simply because I don't have to lug a big camera around.

Panasonic actually has some poor press with image quality - do the research and don't play the name brand game. You have to decide what you really want. From several sites I read of similar cameras Canon's camera has the best actual picture quality - but frankly none of them are going to be as good as a DSLR and none of the point and shoots are going to be "great." So so long as they are in the general ballpark then my view is to go with features. CNET gave the HX 9V their top rating.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Review - Watch CNET's Video Review (http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc/4505-6501_7-34547260.html)

I had a Canon Digital Elph and the Sony is better in every regard. One of the best things about it is you can zoom in and out while taking videos which not all cameras do - and you can also take still photos while you are taking a video. Add in the GPS and 3D and panorama photos and it's gravy.