DT Auditions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DT Auditions

MasterCylinder
11-03-2011, 04:44 AM
I purchased the new "Special Edition" of Dream Theater's A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS.
In addition to the new CD, it included a DVD of the auditions of the seven drummers invited to replace Portnoy............those drummers were :

Aquiles Priester

Derek Roddy

Marco Minnemann

Mike Mangini

Peter Wildoer

Thomas Lang

Virgil Donati

All seven are outstanding in this 1-hour video.
The band had recognized three standouts and ultimately chose Mangini about a year ago.

This is an example of some very cool documentation on the part of the band; the DVD is well-done and enjoyable to watch -- you get a peek into the "business" of Dream Theater and also see a very personal side of a bunch of good people and top-notch musicians.
Highly recommended !

Finch Platte
11-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I purchased the new "Special Edition" of Dream Theater's A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS.
In addition to the new CD, it included a DVD of the auditions of the seven drummers invited to replace Portnoy............those drummers were :

Aquiles Priester

Derek Roddy

Marco Minnemann

Mike Mangini

Peter Wildoer

Thomas Lang

Virgil Donati

All seven are outstanding in this 1-hour video.
The band had recognized three standouts and ultimately chose Mangini about a year ago.

This is an example of some very cool documentation on the part of the band; the DVD is well-done and enjoyable to watch -- you get a peek into the "business" of Dream Theater and also see a very personal side of a bunch of good people and top-notch musicians.
Highly recommended !

There was one guy, can't remember which one it was (not Mangina or Donati), that choked on the odd time stuff. Pretty funny to see him counting it out loud and barely getting it. He played, it, but it was pretty rudimentary. I thought, uh, guys, just tell him right now that he doesn't have the gig. :)

I agree, tho, this is a must-watch DVD.

ForeverAutumn
11-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I have the DVD but haven't watched it yet.

Last month Minnemann was in town with his band The Aristocrats. They played a tiny little music hall in a music store about 10 minutes north of us (I took Swish there when he was in town but given that this a prog thread I don't expect him to read this and comment), anyhow, I really wanted to go and see him but it was on the same night that DT played here and we already had tickets to see DT!

Imagine Mangini and Minnemann in town on the same day. Oh the talent gracing our fair town.

MasterCylinder
11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
There was one guy, can't remember which one it was (not Mangina or Donati), that choked on the odd time stuff. Pretty funny to see him counting it out loud and barely getting it. He played, it, but it was pretty rudimentary. I thought, uh, guys, just tell him right now that he doesn't have the gig. :)

I agree, tho, this is a must-watch DVD.

I think it was Priester -- the guy from Brazil.
Everybody in the room immediately knew he was done.