Smile Tuesday [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Smile Tuesday

Davey
11-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Anyone else been listening to this amazing Smile Sessions package? A lot of people will say it's just too late, like they said a few years ago when Brian completed his own version, and I wasn't very enthusiastic about that one, but I think listening to this one proves you can go back. Enchanting is the word that comes to mind.

Anyone go crazy and get the whole package? Something like 5 CDs, and vinyl, and singles, and the book, and all the rest?

Davey
11-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Smile Tuesday was such a hit, why not move onto Aqualung Wednesday? This one also comes in a big deluxe package, but you can also get just the new remix/remaster CD, and it is pretty nice. Steven Wilson did the remix job, and surprisingly, Peter Mew mastered it very nicely too at Abbey Road. Very dynamic and colorful without a bunch of extra compression. Never a great recording, though parts have sounded very good in the past, especially the Steve Hoffman version on DCC, but this new remix has a more modern balance and it does freshen it up, especially the drums and vocals. Overall great job, and probably better sounding than any previous version for most people (that extra detail does bring it a little close to my irritation threshold at times, so you probably have to be a little careful what kind of system you listen on :)).

Still, like most of these rock classic reissues, just not sure if it's really got enough listens left in it to make a new one worthwhile, regardless how well done it is. Very encouraged to see a return to sane mastering practices of some of them, this one and Smile included (though I've only heard the Smile vinyl so far).

Slosh
11-02-2011, 12:32 PM
I know this doesn't belong in this thread but first spin:

3LB
11-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Smile Tuesday was such a hit, why not move onto Aqualung Wednesday? This one also comes in a big deluxe package, but you can also get just the new remix/remaster CD, and it is pretty nice. Steven Wilson did the remix job, and surprisingly, Peter Mew mastered it very nicely too at Abbey Road. Very dynamic and colorful without a bunch of extra compression. Never a great recording, though parts have sounded very good in the past, especially the Steve Hoffman version on DCC, but this new remix has a more modern balance and it does freshen it up, especially the drums and vocals. Overall great job, and probably better sounding than any previous version for most people (that extra detail does bring it a little close to my irritation threshold at times, so you probably have to be a little careful what kind of system you listen on :)).

Still, like most of these rock classic reissues, just not sure if it's really got enough listens left in it to make a new one worthwhile, regardless how well done it is. Very encouraged to see a return to sane mastering practices of some of them, this one and Smile included (though I've only heard the Smile vinyl so far).
wow, how bored of music are you that yer delving into classic rock, and prog at that! ;)

Like you stated already, how many listens do certain albums have left in them? Most of these classic rock re-issues are on their third or fourth release of a digital medium already, how many nuances are left to be discovered. Sure, I am a fan of Wilson's work and glad for any recognition that comes his way because of the 5.1 remixes he's done. But I don't own a 5.1 system, at least not one I listen to music on, nor do I even own the latest CD re-issue of a lot of classic rock acts. Pink Floyd has done a re-issue in 5.1, but I can't imagine any reason I'd sit through DSOTM any time soon.

Now Davey, let's see what you think of Wilson's recent 5.1 mastery of King Crimson's back catalog :D

Davey
11-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Now Davey, let's see what you think of Wilson's recent 5.1 mastery of King Crimson's back catalog :D

Well, I'm not much in the surround thing, this was just about his 2-chan remix for the CD, and he did a great job, but I have read that the 5.1 version on blue-ray is exceptional. Not a huge Tull fan but I've always loved Aqualung, so it's fun to hear a new version.

Wednesday has devolved into some Fripp via Catherine Wheel ...cool fan vid...though maybe a little too serene for the lyrics... in the house I once used, there's a psycho on the loose, he's playing with the fuse of a bomb there...I could live with you there..... :)

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqpUw9zVC9s?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqpUw9zVC9s?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

3LB
11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
If you like that torutred artist thingy w/ Brian Wilson, have you heard the latest from St. Vincent - Strange Mercy? Or am I confusing you for someone else who likes St. Vincent?

Davey
11-02-2011, 02:47 PM
If you like that torutred artist thingy w/ Brian Wilson, have you heard the latest from St. Vincent - Strange Mercy? Or am I confusing you for someone else who likes St. Vincent?

I do kinda like St. Vincent, but really no idea what that has to do with Brian Wilson. I don't know that he was all that tortured back in '66 :)

St. Vincent reminds me most of Kate Bush. Not a big fan of the CD mastering, or Kate Bush for that matter, but what's new? I do like the latest St. Vincent. Not as much as Stereolab, no way, different league, not that anyone asked. Haven't heard the earlier ones yet.

3LB
11-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't know that he was all that tortured back in '66 :)yeah, he was ****ed up early in life

How many versions, editions and re-issues of Smile are there?

*why won't it let me type the word mess?

Davey
11-02-2011, 03:06 PM
How many versions, editions and re-issues of Smile are there?

Just this one official version. There have been hundreds of unofficial fan versions, and of course there was the aborted Smiley Smile, and Brian Wilson went back in the studio with Van Dyke Parks and the Wondermints and completed a new version in 2004. But this one is more faithful to the fan versions, piecing together the available period recordings to create what might have been, and at the same time giving those fans pretty much all the rest there is to play with. Nothing revolutionary anymore, and maybe a bit of a let down now after most of us have lived with the bootlegs for so many years, but still a very classy package, and timeless.