DVD Players that can decode LPCM 24/96 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Players that can decode LPCM 24/96

Vasilis
10-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi all,

I have a simple audio setup that is a Rega Mira 3 amplifier, a pair of Rega Jura floor standers and up to now a Pioneer DV-370 as a player feeding it with LPCMs coded at 24 bit 96 kHz (sources not upsampled). Unfortunately the Pioneer decided to die today so I am after an inexpensive DVD player with a 24/192 DAC that can properly read LPCM and output via its analog outputs without downsampling to 48 kHz or truncating to 16 bits.

Any suggestions are very welcome
Thanks
V

Woochifer
11-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Nearly all mass produced DACs nowadays will decode a 96/24 PCM signal. The issue with a DVD player is with the implementation, in that some manufacturers will automatically downsample a 96/24 PCM signal before outputting it (this is a copy protection default setting).

Unfortunately, DVD players are nothing more than a throwaway commodity nowadays, and I doubt that there will be much documentation that you can reference to check on the playback resolution. Why not look for another Pioneer? Also, if you can find a Denon or Oppo, you can assume that those will properly handle the high res PCM files properly.

The problem is that most of quality conscious players now focus on Blu-ray.

Vasilis
11-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Nearly all mass produced DACs nowadays will decode a 96/24 PCM signal. The issue with a DVD player is with the implementation, in that some manufacturers will automatically downsample a 96/24 PCM signal before outputting it (this is a copy protection default setting).

Unfortunately, DVD players are nothing more than a throwaway commodity nowadays, and I doubt that there will be much documentation that you can reference to check on the playback resolution. Why not look for another Pioneer? Also, if you can find a Denon or Oppo, you can assume that those will properly handle the high res PCM files properly.

The problem is that most of quality conscious players now focus on Blu-ray.

Thanks a million for your reply. I am moving away from the DVD domain and towards the blu ray one. Oppo would be my first choice but budgets are tight at the moment. I did listen to oppo and it is truly wonderful... I am leaning towards a Panasonic BDT110 blu ray at the moment but as pointed out there is no documentation on downsampling at output. Mainly I would be interested in finding whether this happens when outputting from the analog outs. I want to believe that tis will be a short temporary solution as I want to move away from any kind of transport device and be entirely file based (all my CDs and DVD-As are now inside a 2TB disk, no compression for the majority of them ALAC for the rest)

Thanks again for your help