Original vs. reissues [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Original vs. reissues

Bill K Davis
10-31-2011, 03:48 AM
I keep replacing reissues I bought when I was naive, and thought a record was a record.Great records ,I knew I liked,sounded empty. I am pleasantly shocked when I get an original pressing.. Then I think of why reissues are so bad,even the 180 gram ones. For anyone starting back to vinyl,don't buy reissues. Maybe some labels are ok,but why gamble? Not nitpicking,reissues are a shadow of the real thing. :nono: ps. Is a Technics 1360 turntable for $45 a decent deal?

markw
10-31-2011, 10:54 AM
That's a pretty broad brush with which you paint, buddy.

Luvin Da Blues
10-31-2011, 11:15 AM
I would think that someone would have to spend more than $45.00 on a TT to even make that statement. What's ya think?

markw
10-31-2011, 12:57 PM
I would think that someone would have to spend more than $45.00 on a TT to even make that statement. What's ya think?I would also think he's never heard of Sundazed or Mobile Fidelity, among others.

Bill K Davis
10-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Have a couple Sundazed ehhh. Not the real deal. Akarma? Cadet 180, blech. Mobile Fidelity unknown ,except for $.Mostly referring to regular label reissues. Cheap shot,Luvin

markw
10-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Don't like Sundazed? I guess we have different expectations.

Woochifer
11-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Always amusing to see people make universal claims that can be easily debunked with a single example to the contrary.

Obviously, someone slamming reissues doesn't remember much about how awful the mass market pressings could get back in the day. Even a so-called "original pressing" could have been made with a worn stamper, used a noisy grade of vinyl, or suffered from any number of other issues during the production process. If anything, the current generation of reissued vinyl does not suffer nearly as much from the inconsistent pressing quality (i.e, surface noise, pops, clicks, off-center spindle holes, inner groove distortion, etc.) that was very much commonplace when the major US labels still pressed their own LPs.

02audionoob
11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I've been buying jazz re-issues from Half-Price Books upon occasion. Every one of them so far sounds great.

nobody
11-02-2011, 07:02 AM
I think there is a lot of variability and either direction you go here a blanket statement is gonna be false. I've heard great sounding re-issues and crappy sounding ones. I don't have both to make comparisons in most cases and really don't have the time or inclination to buy multiple copies and do sound comparisons between all the various re-issues to get to the bottom of each individual instance when I get a record. Personally, I tend toward grabbing originals when available and affordable. For most common records I find an original in great shape is cheaper or the same price as a re-issue anyway. It's not uncommon for me to come across an original and a new re-issue right next to each other in the bins for within a buck or two of each other and in those cases, the original pretty much always comes home with me. I generally turn to re-issues when originals are priced out of my reach or if I'm feeling impatient in finding an original. I have many re-issues that sound very good though, although I have also come across re-issues that are duds as well. Really it all comes down to price and availability to me more than anything else. But for consistency I've had better overall luck grabbing originals so I lean that way when practical.

Bill K Davis
11-04-2011, 05:48 PM
I have analyzed my problems with 180 gram lps,and think that my my problem might be vertical tracking angle adjustment.I'm not sure my Dual 1229 and 503-2 have vta adjustment,but I have never attempted to change it. If this is the cause of my rotten results,then all my 180 gram reissue comments are null. I'll experiment with thinner mats to see.

poppachubby
11-14-2011, 04:30 AM
I have analyzed my problems with 180 gram lps,and think that my my problem might be vertical tracking angle adjustment.I'm not sure my Dual 1229 and 503-2 have vta adjustment,but I have never attempted to change it. If this is the cause of my rotten results,then all my 180 gram reissue comments are null. I'll experiment with thinner mats to see.

This could definitely be an issue, but I have learned over the years that 180g is not the saviour of vinyl fidelity.

I think nobody echoed a lot of my feelings on this topic. I have bought some very dissapointing originals in terms of fidelity, and the same could be said for reissues. I try to buy originals when possible, but in many cases I can't afford them. In those cases it's all about getting the music.

Keep an open mind, and ear, and your collection will flourish. Proper research never hurt anyone either.