Bel Canto REF500M Class D monoblock power amps [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bel Canto REF500M Class D monoblock power amps

Mike Anderson
10-30-2011, 01:03 PM
I recently picked up a pair of these brand new at a used price on EBay. Very much enjoying them.

I'm using them as part of an active bi-amp setup. They're powering the mid+ribbon drivers of my Magnepan 3.6R speakers. (I have a pair of 1000ASP ICEPower modules on the bass panels.)

These are an upgrade for me, from an Acoustic Reality eAR 502 dual mono block amp, which used the 500ASP ICEPower modules. By contrast, the Bel Cantos use the new(er) 125ASX2 ICEPower modules, which put out about 550 watts/channel at 4 ohms in bridged mode:

ICEpower — Consumer & Professional Audio (http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/en/solutions/speaker/ASX2_SERIES)

It's a definite improvement. I think the mids are about the same, but the highs are much sweeter, mellower, and easier on the ears. With the old amp, there were times when the highs could be glaring or harsh at high volumes. None of that whatsoever with the Bel Cantos.

It seems like the resolution has improved as well, but it's hard to tell without the ability to A/B the two amps.

Anyway, they're highly recommended. I can't speak to the bass-producing features of the amps, but they definitely work well for mids and highs.

frenchmon
10-30-2011, 01:49 PM
I recently picked up a pair of these brand new at a used price on EBay. Very much enjoying them.

I'm using them as part of an active bi-amp setup. They're powering the mid+ribbon drivers of my Magnepan 3.6R speakers. (I have a pair of 1000ASP ICEPower modules on the bass panels.)

These are an upgrade for me, from an Acoustic Reality eAR 502 dual mono block amp, which used the 500ASP ICEPower modules. By contrast, the Bel Cantos use the new(er) 125ASX2 ICEPower modules, which put out about 550 watts/channel at 4 ohms in bridged mode:

ICEpower — Consumer & Professional Audio (http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/en/solutions/speaker/ASX2_SERIES)

It's a definite improvement. I think the mids are about the same, but the highs are much sweeter, mellower, and easier on the ears. With the old amp, there were times when the highs could be glaring or harsh at high volumes. None of that whatsoever with the Bel Cantos.

It seems like the resolution has improved as well, but it's hard to tell without the ability to A/B the two amps.

Anyway, they're highly recommended. I can't speak to the bass-producing features of the amps, but they definitely work well for mids and highs.

Congrats.....You have some outstanding amps there...enjoy!

Ajani
10-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Congrats!

It's always good to hear more persons achieving good results with Class D amps... Sounds like the only lingering criticism (occasional harshness in the treble) maybe a thing of the past...

Mike Anderson
10-30-2011, 03:17 PM
It's always good to hear more persons achieving good results with Class D amps... Sounds like the only lingering criticism (occasional harshness in the treble) maybe a thing of the past...

I should add, the harshness or glare in the old amp really was a pretty rare thing -- something like a high violin solo at high volume might trigger it. I guess if you listen to violin solos at high volume at lot, you might find it more frequent.

harley .guy07
10-31-2011, 09:08 AM
I have heard a lot of good things about the newer class D amps from companies like Bel Canto, Nuforce, among others like Class D audio which I am real interested in and will probably be the way I go once I upgrade power amps since they for one are very efficient, very low heat building and also do not weigh a lot compared to the power put out and the most important thing is that they seem to be besting their SS competition in the A and A/B world which to me is the most important and the other things are just a perk.

Ajani
10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
I have heard a lot of good things about the newer class D amps from companies like Bel Canto, Nuforce, among others like Class D audio which I am real interested in and will probably be the way I go once I upgrade power amps since they for one are very efficient, very low heat building and also do not weigh a lot compared to the power put out and the most important thing is that they seem to be besting their SS competition in the A and A/B world which to me is the most important and the other things are just a perk.

Yep, we seem to have the same opinion on Class D amplification...

However, I think smaller size and lower weight are even more than just a perk... Not to sound like a sissy, but whenever I have to move my 75lb, 19" x 17" x 8" Emotiva XPA-2 amp around (which has no handles and is really hard to balance) I wish I had a Class D Audio SDS-470 instead (same power as the XPA-2 but light and just 12" x 12" x 4")

blackraven
11-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm glad to see another fan of Class D amps.

Here is a thread on the ICE power modules that Bel Canto uses for a fraction of the cost-

Icepower 125ASX2 C&C! (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100249.0)

For $266 I just might have to buy one and compare it to the Class D Audio unit.

I would like to pair one of these or the Class D Audio units with the Grant Fidelity DAC/Pre-11 tube units. I was going to buy a Little Dot MKIII but it has problems with DC coupled amps.

filecat13
11-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the link. Looks worth an experiment.