sacd player connection question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sacd player connection question

Tarheel_
10-29-2011, 01:42 PM
So I have an old 1980s Technics receiver with both Pre-Out and Main-In for 2 channel.

I have the Pre-outs connected to an separate amp. Now, i also have a sacd player and connected the front L and R analog output from the sacd player to the Main-in on the technics. Problem...there is no sound. The EQ dances on the receiver and the sacd players is playing. The menu on the sacd player is correct.

Question: I have no AUX input to press on the receiver..so when i press all the other inputs there is no sound. The owners manual doesn't mention what to press when using the Main-ins.

I have it now connected to the CD input and I can hear music, but not sure if this is the full sacd sound? Any issues using this input?

thanks!

02audionoob
10-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Your CD input is the place to put it, so that it's going through the volume control of the receiver. An input labeled CD is actually not specific to CD technology. It's an ordinary analog input. So connecting analog outputs there does give you the full sound of the SACD player.

markw
10-29-2011, 02:43 PM
So I have an old 1980s Technics receiver with both Pre-Out and Main-In for 2 channel.

I have the Pre-outs connected to an separate amp. Now, i also have a sacd player and connected the front L and R analog output from the sacd player to the Main-in on the technics. Problem...there is no sound.I just know you have speakers connected to the Technics receiver and whatever buttons are needed be depressed to activate them are pushed in, right? After all, the power amp of the Technics receiver is the ONLY part of the receiver the SACD sees.

Tarheel_
10-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Your CD input is the place to put it, so that it's going through the volume control of the receiver. An input labeled CD is actually not specific to CD technology. It's an ordinary analog input. So connecting analog outputs there does give you the full sound of the SACD player.

thanks for the clear answer...i can keep my old school setup for now. The sacd sound is wonderful and makes my NHTs sing.

bleachershane
11-07-2011, 03:36 PM
It's a shame SACD has pretty much fallen on it's backside, it does sound pretty good!

hifitommy
11-19-2011, 01:02 PM
fortunately sacd is still an active mode and can be had for about $30 each in most cases. the japanese imports are much more so i avoid them. i was fortunate to acquire quite a few before they began to fade. i didnt mind paying what list price was for regular CDs which is more than regular CDs should sell for.

the $30 is now what premium LPs go for so not bad as price goes. i would MUCH rather pay that for sacd than the less desirable to me-XRCD! yeah, theyre good but still redbook with its limitations. ten bucks would be as much as i paid for xrcd.

if you want to go surround without the expense-try dynaquad. its passive so only a stereo amp is needed, your receiver will do. just rear speakers and a roll of malibu outdoor lighting wire (its 16ga).

blackraven
11-20-2011, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE

the $30 is now what premium LPs go for so not bad as price goes. i would MUCH rather pay that for sacd than the less desirable to me-XRCD! yeah, theyre good but still redbook with its limitations. ten bucks would be as much as i paid for xrcd.

[/QUOTE]

I own quite a few XRCD's. The XRCD-24's are the best recordings but they are variable in sound quality. Some far exceed the sound quality of their Red Book counterparts, others just minimally.

Poultrygeist
11-20-2011, 01:43 PM
I buy my SACD's from Amazon but don't recall paying more than around $15 for a disc. The number of selections have grown over the past few years especially for jazz and classical.

Tarheel_
11-22-2011, 07:51 AM
same here Poultrygeist...

I also buy from Amazon as they have a nice selection. You can also find SACD and DVD_A on ebay for reasonable prices.
Plus, there are new SACD releases like Miles Davis, Muddy Waters, etc. over at Music Direct and priced at $30.