A new project. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A new project.

RoyY51
10-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I have a week off over Thanksgiving and I have decided to try my hand at constructing a combination bass stand and bass trap, to be used under my Outlaw LFM-1. I am making it out of 2x10's with 1 1/2" MDF top and bottom. I will be drilling a bunch of 2" holes in the sides then wrapping it with black cloth.

My question is this: what would be the most effective bass absorption material to stuff the box with? There's a lot of products out there and I don't have a clue as to which would be the best for this purpose.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Roy

JohnMichael
10-21-2011, 04:12 PM
I have a question about how far off the floor you plan on raising the sub and how much bass you might lose? I can understand the need for bass traps and think that would be a good project.

Acousta-Stuf Polyfill 1 lb. Bag 260-317 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-317&FTR=acoustic%20stuffing)

I have used this product before for projects.

RoyY51
10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Since I plan to inset the MDF into the top and bottom of the 2x10's the height would be the width of the 2x10, which is actually 9 1/2". I'm not sure I understand the question about "how much bass I might lose". I am hoping to eliminate some of the bloat and the booming at certain frequencies, and I have read that raising the sub off the floor helps. I'm thinking that this elevation, augmented by the right fill material in the box, will provide a "double whammy" that will tighten and smooth the bass.

I missed a Golden Opportunity to accomplish this when I built my TV stand. It, too, is built from 2x10's (see picture in Home Theater Photo section). I could have done the same procedure on it (drilled holes, filled with acoustic material) and it would have covered the entire front of my viewing area, improving (hopefully) the bass response of both my subwoofers. Then, I just would have had to build basic stands to elevate them. Oh, well...live and learn.