Any Matthew Sweet fans around here? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Matthew Sweet fans around here?

Swish
10-19-2011, 07:39 AM
I don't recall his name coming up anytime recently and I guess he hasn't done much worth talking about in many years.

Anyway, I found out he's on tour and will be playing the entirety of 'Girlfriend', which I rate very highly as do many others, in celebration of its 20th anniversary.

There's a couple local shows, including one at the A.B.C. Brew Pub in Harrisburg (the largest brew pub in the U.S. based on physical size) this Saturday, but I can't make that, so I bought tickets for the show in Sellersville, PA on Nov. 3rd.

Swish

Hyfi
10-19-2011, 08:35 AM
I don't recall his name coming up anytime recently and I guess he hasn't done much worth talking about in many years.

Anyway, I found out he's on tour and will be playing the entirety of 'Girlfriend', which I rate very highly as do many others, in celebration of its 20th anniversary.

There's a couple local shows, including one at the A.B.C. Brew Pub in Harrisburg (the largest brew pub in the U.S. based on physical size) this Saturday, but I can't make that, so I bought tickets for the show in Sellersville, PA on Nov. 3rd.

Swish

Enjoy the show. Sellersville is my favorite venue anymore. Row K-center, lots of leg room.

I think the only MS I have is on an old comp from ChipB called Winter Fades.

Stone
10-20-2011, 05:17 AM
He has a new album coming out (or maybe it's out already). I listed to some acoustic versions of the new songs and they sound decent, but not spectacular.

Girlfriend is a great album, and I recently listened to it. He put out a couple other really good albums, then got pretty dull if you ask me.

Mr MidFi
10-20-2011, 05:36 AM
His Altered Beast album is an overlooked gem, featuring some of his best songwriting and some extremely interesting lead guitar work from the late Robert Quine.

Jim Clark
10-20-2011, 05:57 AM
I previewed or more accurately, prelistened (?) to the new one and I moved on pretty fast. Can't argue Girlfriend though.

jc

Rae
10-20-2011, 08:13 AM
I echo Mr. Mid-Fi's sentiments about Altered Beast. It's not the raw crackle of Girlfriend but it's a stellar album in its own way. Even 100% Fun has some jams on it, but after that I really lost track of him.

This tour didn't come through Minneapolis but I dunno if I would've gone if it had. I'm pretty wary about what he might sound like these days and the fact that his website trumpets that he's playing with the guy from Fastball isn't making it any more enticing.

~Rae

kexodusc
10-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Was a huge fan in the mid 90's. Agree, after 100% Fun, he went downhill and disappeared. Altered Beast, and a few tracks on Son of Altered Beast were probably my favourite stuff by him.

I'd probably check him out just out of curiosity and for a bit of nostalgia. "Devil With The Green Eyes" is still a killer track.