Which One [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which One

jjp735i
10-18-2011, 04:08 AM
If you had a choice of these 2 receivers which one would you get.

Yamaha - RX-V371 - 5.1

Sony - STRDH520 - 7.1

All my other stuff is Yamaha and this is for a second set up I'm doing.

Thanks, jjp

kelsci
10-18-2011, 09:08 AM
I think circuit city has a refurbished Yamaha 371 for $150. I would go to Amazon.com to see what other people thought of both of these receivers. I would also download the manuals of each one to get an idea of their features, hook-ups and wether they have on-screen programming. I would also do a google search to see if there are any other reviews on these receivers.

jjp735i
10-19-2011, 01:41 AM
After reviewing the manuals for each the Yamaha wins hands down. Cost was never an issue, because I am getting it with saved points.

Thanks, jjp

JWM
10-26-2011, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the help, guys. I was looking at the same thing.

I presently have a Sherwood Newcastle DD5.1 receiver, but need a DTS one. Trouble is the Sherwood has spoilt me with its user friendly control system. Essentially everything can be accomplished by buttons on the front panel, so no fumbling with the remote in the dark.

Anybody recommend a receiver with the same features as my six year old Newcastle? Price is not an object at this point.

kelsci
10-26-2011, 10:08 AM
JJP, Smart thinking. I think the Yamaha offers more than the Sony if I were to use that receiver.

JWN; I have a Sherwood 6095R. It has both D.D. and DTS 5.1. It does not have DPL-2, just some hall modes. I have not used it in awhile but even though it is lower in power than many current basic 5.1 receivers out there, its sound quality and processing of D.D./DTS tracks are first rate. It is probably due to the yamaha chip in it. I wish I could help you on your quest. The Newcastles were supposed to have great sound and processing quality.

BadAssJazz
10-27-2011, 07:28 AM
If you had a choice of these 2 receivers which one would you get.

Yamaha - RX-V371 - 5.1

Sony - STRDH520 - 7.1

All my other stuff is Yamaha and this is for a second set up I'm doing.

Thanks, jjp

I've been hearing (and reading) greating things about the new Yamahas, so I would probably give the nod to the RX-V371, assuming it had the features that you wanted.

Roger Red Hat
10-27-2011, 09:17 AM
i was always impressed with samsung kit tbh! =/

Mygaffer
10-30-2011, 08:35 PM
If you look at used equipment you can often times get a lot more for your money. Exactly what kind of setup will this piece be in?

SHIFTY23
11-01-2011, 02:24 PM
JJP, I would recommend the Yamaha as i currently own one, mind you it is a higher end model but they are well built and give plenty of bang for your buck compared to Sony.