RIP Edgar Villchur, dead at 94 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP Edgar Villchur, dead at 94

michaelhigh
10-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Edgar Villchur, inventor of acoustic suspension speaker technology and the original audiophile turntable (AR-XA), upon which the LP-12 was based, died Monday, October 17, 2011, in his home in Woostock, New York. He was 94. Audiophiles have hailed Mr. Villchur as a seminal figure in the field. In its 50th-anniversary issue in 2006, Hi-Fi News ranked him No. 1 among the “50 Most Important Audio Pioneers.” John Atkinson, the editor of Stereophile magazine, credits him with bringing hi-fi into the home. His inventions, the acoustic suspension loudspeaker and the first audiophile turntable (upon which the LP-12 was based) were groundbreaking in their day, and top all-time "best of" lists consistently year after year. The AR-XA was recently named amongst the top 100 Most Important Audio Components Of All Time by Stereophile magazine as was the LP-12, #5 and #1, respectively. Sad to see the pioneers go one by one, as it is sad to see the old blues cats dying off as well over the years.

Enochrome
10-18-2011, 06:23 PM
We need more pioneers like him. I just reread that list and have been on the hunt for AR-XA.

Villchur R.I.P - I lift my glass to him.