If I'd only known then what I know now... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : If I'd only known then what I know now...

ForeverAutumn
10-17-2011, 12:57 PM
After a year of performing weekly (at least) CPR on my old 5th Gen iPod from 2006 I finally had to buy a new one. Not because the old one finally released its last breath and died, but because I lost it. Damn! I even know when I lost it and the range of places it might be, but nonetheless, it’s gone. :cryin:

I hope that whoever finds it enjoys some of the tunes on it. But who am I kidding, it’s full of prog and indie hipster crap that the top-40, commercial, need-to-be-able-to-hum-it masses spend their time avoiding, so that’s probably not going to happen. In fact, it’s probably already been formatted and filled with hip-hop and rap. In which case I hope my poor lost iPod doesn’t have much life left in it because I know that would make its last days very unhappy ones. :incazzato:

But on the bright side, I now own a shiny new silver 160G iPod classic that totally kicks ****ing ass! :3:

I am astounded at how fast this new baby is. I have a little over 5,000 songs on my iPod…most of them Apple lossless. I thought it was going to take all night to sinc the new one. It was done in about an hour. Seriously, I should have timed it. It was through the first couple of hundred songs before the old one would have been through just Gates of Delirium. :smilewinkgrin:

I always wondered what the point of the Genius sincing that iTunes insisted on doing was. Now I can see that there are Genius playlists! I’d heard about them but never really understood what they are because my old iPod didn’t actually house them. But the new one does and they are totally cool! :cool:

A while back I posted here that I thought it would be cool if when the iPod is on shuffle you could click the centre button and have the iPod take you to the album that the song is on so that you can play the whole album. Well, slap me silly, the new one does that! If I hold down the middle button while in shuffle mode, I can choose to browse the artist or album of the current song. I can even select to create a Genius playlist based on that song. :2:

And as if all of that wasn’t enough, my Escape comes equipped with Ford’s Sync system that allows me to plug my iPod into the car and manage it through my car radio. The shuffle function between the old iPod and the car never worked. If the iPod was on shuffle the car would play the first song and then continue on alphabetically. The new iPod plays the shuffle on the car. The voice commands didn’t work on the old iPod in the car either. I haven’t tried voice commands yet with the new one, but I’m hopeful! If I remember, I’ll try the voice command on the way home from work. :thumbsup:

So, as much as my old 5th Gen was a good friend for many years and I’ll miss it, I’m totally digging the new technology (which isn’t very new at 2009) and wondering why I waited so long. If I’d only known then what I know now, I would have stopped resetting the old one a year ago and just let it go. :19:

:lol:

ForeverAutumn
10-17-2011, 03:28 PM
The voice commands work! WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Finch Platte
10-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Most smilies in a thread evar?

Mr MidFi
10-18-2011, 10:43 AM
And as if all of that wasn’t enough, my Escape comes equipped with Ford’s Sync system that allows me to plug my iPod into the car and manage it through my car radio.

Ever since I got my new car last year, I've wondered how I'd ever lived without this feature before.

My own pod "classic" is limping toward a sad demise sometime soon. I'll probably replace both it and my museum-relic mobile phone with a new iPhone4S... they have a 64 GB model now, which is probably enough to do the job. The voice commands, built-in 8MP camera and hi-def video shooting are just icing on the cake.

Congrats on your new toy!

ForeverAutumn
10-18-2011, 11:18 AM
If you're thinking of only having an iPhone and not also an iPod you might want to consider how battery life is going to affect you. A busy day on my phone can drain the battery pretty quickly. Add using the iPhone for music and it's only going to drain faster. I have a 32G iPhone, but I only use it for music as a back-up to my iPod. Unless you have easy access to chargers throughout the day, you may want to consider keeping both.

ForeverAutumn
10-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Most smilies in a thread evar?

I know. I'm pretty cool, eh? :D

Mr MidFi
10-19-2011, 06:04 AM
If you're thinking of only having an iPhone and not also an iPod you might want to consider how battery life is going to affect you. A busy day on my phone can drain the battery pretty quickly. Add using the iPhone for music and it's only going to drain faster. I have a 32G iPhone, but I only use it for music as a back-up to my iPod. Unless you have easy access to chargers throughout the day, you may want to consider keeping both.

This is a good point that I'll have to take into consideration. Right now, about 95% of the time I'm listening to the pod (in the office, in the car or on the home stereo) it is hooked up to a power source. But a phone is, by definition, more of a mobile device. I'll have to ponder this some more.

BTW, when I'm traveling I use a an old 8GB Nano... but that's more of a form-factor issue.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a portable iPod dock/speaker that's small enough to pack in a carry-on bag, but still sounds halfway decent?

ForeverAutumn
10-19-2011, 07:33 AM
I have a much older version of this, Amazon.com: Altec Lansing inMotion iM600 Firewire-Charging Portable Audio System for iPod (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-inMotion-iM600-Firewire-Charging/dp/B000OFSN4G).

If you're looking for something for a hotel room, this will do the job. The sound is decent for the speaker size, and the volume can go suprisingly loud. It works well indoors, but it's not powerful enough for outdoors. The dock folds up into the speaker and the remote snaps into the back so that it folds up pretty flat. Mine also came with an AC adapter and soft case. I love it for travelling! But mine is probably about 8 - 10 years old...it's so old that it didn't come with all the different iPod size adapters as the original "classic" was the only iPod size available when I bought it. :D

I can't promise that this newer model sounds the same as mine, but if it's designed the same way it'll easily fit in a carry on bag.