Best Bluray player for DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Bluray player for DVD

Smokey
10-15-2011, 06:32 PM
As I am looking to buy a Bluray player to play DVDs also, my search have concluded that not all bluray players perform equaly when it comes to upscale DVDs. It seem Sony bluray players are best when it comes to upscale DVDs for HDTV.

The current model that is available at Bestbuy and Walmart is sony BPD-S380 that sell for $140-$100. It was voted the best upscaler for DVDs, and also a terrific bluray player. It beat Panasonic, LG and Samsung in terms of playing DVDs.

Here is the review of Sony Bluray player by British magazine:

Sony BDP-S380 review from the experts at whathifi.com (http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-bdp-s380)

BadAssJazz
10-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I have owned blu ray players from Samsung, Pioneer Elite, Panasonic and Oppo. It is true that not all of them were able to playback DVDs the same. The Oppo was/is the best of the bunch, but I don't think your average consumer will want to shell out $600 for a blu ray player that also plays DVDs well.

Maybe later today I'll swing by Best Buy and check out the Sony for the bedroom. I'm presently using an Oppo DVD player and a Panasonic BD player there, but the wife would prefer to have less electronics in the armoire. One less component should make her a little happier.

Smokey
10-18-2011, 05:18 PM
I went to Walmart over the weekend and they were out of Sony S-380 model. This model seem to be discontinued as most places have the price 1/3 off at $99. They also had a barebone version Sony S-280 Bluray player, but have not seen too many reviews on that particular model.

harley .guy07
10-18-2011, 07:18 PM
I will second the Oppo even though I own the 83 I have not seen a player from another brand any where near their price that can upscale as clean as Oppo players can. I know as well a lot of people will not want to shell out the bucks for these players but I tell you I have seen a lot of different players from friends that have bought a lot of brands of upscale players out there and there is nothing in the under $1000 category that keeps up with them in my opinion.

Hyfi
10-19-2011, 04:49 AM
OPPO 93!!!!!

Does a whole lot more than just upscale DVDs. I am sure you will eventually use many of it's other features in time. It also plays CDs better than most cheap CD Players.

Spend the extra money and get one of the best players on the market instead of some cheapo pc of crap.

manlystanley
10-19-2011, 11:32 AM
The current model that is available at Bestbuy and Walmart is sony BPD-S380 that sell for $140-$100. It was voted the best upscaler for DVDs, and also a terrific bluray player. It beat Panasonic, LG and Samsung in terms of playing DVDs.

Here is the review of Sony Bluray player by British magazine:

Sony BDP-S380 review from the experts at whathifi.com (http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-bdp-s380)

At $100, I just might take the plunge into BLU-ray land.

dean_martin
10-19-2011, 02:07 PM
I think some upscalers are proprietary to the brand. Others are made by companies for different brands. The Anchor Bay VRS Technology Upscaler in my Marantz BD-7004 is very good. It's a couple of years old now so Anchor Bay may have a newer, better upscaler.

The latest Oppos use processors from Marvell like the Kyoto G-2 with Qdeo video processing.

Check specs for the maker of the processor.

Smokey
10-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks for Oppo suggestion, but probably that will be out of joe sixpack price range. So was looking to see which off the shelf bluray player had the best upscaler. Sony seem to be pick of litter.

Check specs for the maker of the processor.

That would be good information to have, but have not seen such an info for run of mill bluray players.

Hyfi
10-20-2011, 03:31 AM
Don't pigeon hole yourself into only one feature.

What about USB capability. Many come with USB slot but they are only good for Photos. What if you end up with a ton of digital files and want to play them through the system. But then some do just photo, others photo and music, the OPPO will playback just about anything you throw at it.

OK, now what about Network capability. Sony has it, yeah. But most of their players don't include the proprietary wireless USB adapter and it cost about $80 on top of the player.

Joe six pack can drink water and give up ciggies for a short time and buy one of the best players on the market and never want/need more as he upgrades the rest of his system to match.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.

BadAssJazz
10-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Joe six pack can drink water and give up ciggies for a short time and buy one of the best players on the market and never want/need more as he upgrades the rest of his system to match.

I can totally relate with the Joe Six Pack approach. My childhood and college years scarred me for life. I try to remain as budget-conscious as possible.

I agree that if you can get an Oppo, whether a pre-owned BDP80, BDP83 or BDP93, it's worth saving up for.

Hyfi
10-20-2011, 08:14 AM
I can totally relate with the Joe Six Pack approach. My childhood and college years scarred me for life. I try to remain as budget-conscious as possible.

I agree that if you can get an Oppo, whether a pre-owned BDP80, BDP83 or BDP93, it's worth saving up for.

I am as frugal as they come. I may have been the last person to buy a DVD player, until now I thought I was the last one buying a BD player. I still have a roof antenna and DSL internet and use VHS machines and a Cassette deck.

But, Music and movies is my only real hobby aside from good beers so I save my pennies to get the best item I can so I don't need to keep upgrading for a while.

I just wanted to make sure he didn't paint himself into a bad purchase by only looking at one single feature.

And I hate the way Sony touts being Wireless ready only to find out it's only ready for you to spend another $80 because their adapter is proprietary.

I am sure there are feature laden units costing less than the oppo, but nothing much to beat it.

Woochifer
10-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Is this your latest version of the must-have-analog-audio-outputs dilemma? :cool: You're going to decide on price anyway, so why not just fish for a good closeout deal and leave it at that? Or wait until Black Friday and make your move then.

Concerns about DVD performance are a lot less pressing with the more recent BD players. It has been at least two years since I've read anything about BD players stumbling with DVD playback. I would suggest you go to the Secrets of Home Theater site for BD player tests, since they created many of the industry standard benchmark tests for DVD players.

Blu-ray Players (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players.html)

I'm always a bit wary of What Hi-Fi?, because their approach is almost entirely subjective. Good for culling together info on several comparable units in one review, but not necessarily reliable or consistent in their conclusions.

Smokey
10-20-2011, 06:16 PM
What about USB capability. Many come with USB slot but they are only good for Photos. What if you end up with a ton of digital files and want to play them through the system. But then some do just photo, others photo and music, the OPPO will playback just about anything you throw at it.

OK, now what about Network capability. Sony has it, yeah. But most of their players don't include the proprietary wireless USB adapter and it cost about $80 on top of the player.

In my HT setup. I also have PC hooked to TV which any streaming or playng files or video is done thru PC, so don't need those features on Bluray player. Nor planning to use Wi-Fi feature since don't have such a setup.

I also tend to view Bluray/DVD player as disposable items as it get heavy use in my HT since don't have cable. If something breaks, just dump it in the trash :)

Is this your latest version of the must-have-analog-audio-outputs dilemma?

Most definitely. I would not buy a player without one :yesnod:

Also thanks for link. As I remember, HTsecrets used to do extensive writeups on DVD players (including type of processor used in each player). But reviews of BL players don't seem to be that extensive. It is good information neverthless as they seem to like Sony BL players also.

bfalls
10-21-2011, 05:15 AM
I have both an Oppo 93 and a Sony BDP-S370 which is the predecessor to the S380. The Sony plays everything well. The Oppo plays everything better. Both were easy to setup and connect to my wireless network. For me the Oppo's cabinet seems to get hotter than any other BD/DVD/CD player I've had.

The only problem I had with the Sony is twice it blew a fuse during an electrical storm. It was on a surge protector and no other components had any problems. This happened with just a few days left on the warranty. Sony happily replaced the unit both times. I now route the power through a receiver for another level of isolation.

The Sony is good with no real issues. The Oppo is better in every way if you have the cash.

Smokey
10-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks bfalls for that review.

I usually have two DVD players hooked up to TV and alternate between two players when watching movies, and sometimes run both simuteniously. So Sony probably will be third addition to the mix. It is however troubling it blew fuse two times as I also get strong thunder storms around these parts.