Wadia dock or better options [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wadia dock or better options

bipper
10-13-2011, 10:10 AM
So when I connect my Ipod/iphone to my Myrad Pre-amp ($900) the sound is "good" but my cambridge cd player is much better

I understand the Wadia makes a product that takes the digital sound from the Ipod/Iphone

Are there any other products that can by pass the DA converter in the Iphone/Ipod that are cheaper than the Wadia?

thanks for looking

Hyfi
10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
So when I connect my Ipod/iphone to my Myrad Pre-amp ($900) the sound is "good" but my cambridge cd player is much better

I understand the Wadia makes a product that takes the digital sound from the Ipod/Iphone

Are there any other products that can by pass the DA converter in the Iphone/Ipod that are cheaper than the Wadia?

thanks for looking

Have you looked into the B&W Zeppelin? Not sure if it is what you want.

iPod speakers, Apple iPod docking station - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W (http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/iPod_and_Computer_Speakers/iPod_and_Computer_Speakers/Zeppelin/Overview.html)

bipper
10-13-2011, 10:30 AM
I dont want a ipod dock with speakers. I already have a "audiophile" system and want to get a cleaner sound.

Hyfi
10-13-2011, 10:37 AM
I dont want a ipod dock with speakers. I already have a "audiophile" system and want to get a cleaner sound.

I don't have an ipod but there are plenty of units like this or cheaper.

Manley StingrayŽ iTubeŽ Stereo Integrated Amplifier (http://www.manley.com/mist.php)

Hyfi
10-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Onkyo makes one as well as Goldmund but the Wadia is a reputable product with good reviews.

noddin0ff
10-14-2011, 04:43 AM

thanks for looking

Is it safe to assume you have lossless files on your iPod? Otherwise, it's not quite a fair comparison of CD to iPod lossy.

Personally, I have an Apple Airport express (or an Apple TV, I have both arrangements) feeding an optical signal to a DAC. When I want to listen to music from my iPhone on my main system I simply stream it wirelessly from the iPhone to the AE or ATV. You might consider this solution cumbersome, but the $$ premium attached to all these specialized docks seems silly to me. Either Apple device is $99 and feeds whatever DAC or equipment I want downstream. One can focus the value on the DAC instead of some hybrid dock thingy. Plus you can still wander around with the iphone/ipod. Just a thought.

filecat13
11-07-2011, 09:41 AM
That's good advice. The first step to quality sound is quality files.