A Dramatic Turn of Events [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A Dramatic Turn of Events

MasterCylinder
10-13-2011, 05:31 AM
This new Dream Theater release offers a new drummer but is generally more of the same product we all know so well. There are a couple of standout tracks, most notably "Bridges in the Sky", their selection to open the setlist for the new and current tour, in spite of the large frog-burps !

It usually takes some time, but it's growing on me.

I've got a friend going to the Austin show in a couple of weeks.
And still waiting on FA to give us a review of the Toronto gig.

ForeverAutumn
10-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Sorry. I just got back from five fabulous days in Las Vegas. I'll post a review as soon as I've caught up on a few other things (like laundry and grocery shopping and, most importantly, sleep :D) But I will say that it was a great show and Mangini totally delivered.

Bridges in the Sky is also my favourite track off the new CD.

Finch Platte
10-13-2011, 08:08 AM
I got this out of curiosity- bought the version that comes with the DVD of the drummer tryouts. Much more interesting than the CD, imo. I didn't think I could hate the vocals more than I already do, but I guess I can! Don't know why I expected anything different. :skep:

Here's a game: Listen to the words & count how many times LaCheese says the words 'I' or 'you'. I started to do it and quit after I couldn't count any higher (eleventy barillion). And he always seems to say it exactly the same way.

God, I would love to hear this band with a good singer and a guy with some stage presence- say maybe Russell Allen from Symphony X? :yesnod:

Stone
10-13-2011, 10:04 AM
I got tricked into opening a prog thread again.

3LB
10-13-2011, 01:47 PM
I got this out of curiosity- Don't know why I expected anything different. :skep: FAIL!

I would love to hear this band with a good singer and a guy with some stage presence- say maybe Russell Allen from Symphony X? :yesnod:
I own twice as much DT as I do Sympho-X. Lebrie's vocals are stylistically in the same vein as Allen's. Different timbre, but still that same arena rock/'80s glam metal vein. I get just as fatigued listening to Allen as I did LeBrie. Thing is, Symph-X is just as guilty as DT for making the same album over and over, which is why I quit buying either one albums ago. I do have a DVD of DT from their Train Of Thought tour and yeah, LeBrie is somewhat sedate for frontman.

ForeverAutumn
10-13-2011, 07:07 PM
LeBrie is somewhat sedate for frontman.

Having seen DT at least 5 times now, this works very well for them. The real show is watching the expertise of the musicians in the band. Having a sedate frontman who isn't starved for the limelight allows the musicians to shine. I would much rather have someone 'sedate' fronting DT than someone who needs to be on stage and the centre of attention at all times. The synergy of the band works very well live.

MasterCylinder
10-14-2011, 05:01 AM
The real show is watching the expertise of the musicians in the band.

YES !..........thank you.
That needed to be said.
All four of them are remarkable.
Since FA has pointed out the only true objective, now we all understand why the music is "so over the top".

ForeverAutumn
10-14-2011, 07:09 AM
I got tricked into opening a prog thread again.

Sucker!

;)

ForeverAutumn
10-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Here's a vid of Mangini's solo from the tour.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d2jDwBLbkhE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MasterCylinder
10-21-2011, 05:27 AM
I feel sorry for the drum-tech-roadie on that tour.

ForeverAutumn
10-21-2011, 05:41 AM
I feel sorry for the drum-tech-roadie on that tour.

LOL! There's a really cool show on one of the pay channels called Backstage Secrets. It follows the Rush roadies on the Snakes and Arrows tour. I think that there are eight episodes and each one covers a different aspect of the road crew. Each show covers a different aspect of the road crew sound, lighting, logistics, drum tech, guitar tech, etc. You get the idea. Anyhow, IIRC the show about Peart's drum tech said that he needs about two hours to set up Peart's kit.

Mangini has fewer drums (since he only has one kit, not a rotating kit) but a lot more stuff hanging. So I'd guess it takes about the same amount of time. Unless some of that hanging stuff packs up as one piece with all the stuff still attached.

MasterCylinder
10-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Anyhow, IIRC the show about Peart's drum tech said that he needs about two hours to set up Peart's kit.

Not to mention the microphone requirement.............OMG !

ForeverAutumn
10-21-2011, 05:47 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fXAhK-QcOXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MasterCylinder
10-31-2011, 06:08 AM
This new DT release is getting better every time I spin it.