Compilations: the LateNightTales series [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Compilations: the LateNightTales series

3LB
10-11-2011, 12:37 PM
anyone hear one of these? Its a series that's been around a while, a collection of CDs of songs compiled by particular artists; a divergent selection of artists like Arctic Monkeys, Jamiraquoi, Fatboy Slim, Air (french), Groove Armada, Flaming Lips and lately, Midlake. I myself have never heard of this series before. I heard some off the new one featuring tracks compiled by Midlake, including their acoustic cover of Black Sabbath's Am I Going Insane. These are available at Amazon.

Amazon.com: Late Night Tales: Midlake: Music (http://www.amazon.com/Late-Night-Tales-Midlake/dp/B004KEMHOO/ref=sr_1_8?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318364827&sr=1-8)

Slosh
10-11-2011, 02:10 PM
I know Grandaddy did one a while back. I never listened to anything in this series, however.

NP: (96/24 vinyl rip)

Davey
10-12-2011, 07:15 AM
NP: Something new from some band (96/24 vinyl rip)

Sorry for the threadjack, 3LB, but hey, that vinyl rip sounds pretty nice, huh? The CD kinda gets on my nerves a little, but the LP is mastered a lot better, and you can relax into it. May not be a big deal to most, but makes it a much more enjoyable listen for me. Tweedy's voice especially, but throughout it sounds so much more balanced. On the CD (and on the 96/24 digital download) the little nuances in the music are just too pronounced due to the added compression and limiting. I guess it makes the music more exciting in that everything is more in your face, but it sounds unnatural and gets fatiguing. On the other hand, this vinyl is very well done.

A shame in this age that digital converted to analog and mastered to vinyl, and then played back on a relatively modest home system and converted back to digital, can sound so much better than the digital version offered to the public, either via CD or the HDTracks 24/96 download, which is labeled as "studio master", but seems to more likely be the CD master since it shares the same limited dynamic range.

All that stuff aside, I'm starting to like this latest Wilco record quite a bit.

Slosh
10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I made my own 16/44.1 copy of the vinyl rip and it sounds the same to me as the 24/96 vinyl rip. I guess this recording doesn't benefit much from higher resolution. Not that it sounds bad or anything, I just wish it had more of a circa 1975 type mastering.

Davey
10-13-2011, 07:30 AM
I made my own 16/44.1 copy of the vinyl rip and it sounds the same to me as the 24/96 vinyl rip. I guess this recording doesn't benefit much from higher resolution. Not that it sounds bad or anything, I just wish it had more of a circa 1975 type mastering.

The resolution may not help much since it doesn't have a ton of dynamic range, but the songs I've checked do have pretty strong content all the way out past 40khz, and it's not just record surface noise either, so the added bandwidth should add something. I haven't listened to it downsampled, though. Below is the spectrum from the beginning of "Art of Almost" (I also checked "Capitol City" and it was about the same). Your downsample would stop dead at 22.5KHz.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/wilco.jpg

Slosh
10-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Your downsample would stop dead at 22.5KHz.
I doubt I can hear much beyond 15kHz.

Davey
10-14-2011, 08:10 AM
I doubt I can hear much beyond 15kHz.

Yea, I know, that likely applies to most of us, but musical timbre is multidimensional, and if you mess with one of the attributes, even if by itself that attribute may not be fully perceived, it will change the overall sound. Adding an extreme filter stage (such as the 22.5KHz brickwall response used in CD mastering and playback) to a music path will definitely change some of those timbre attributes, and can definitely change the timbre of the music. But timbre is completely subjective, so what matters greatly to one person, may not matter at all to another.