So I installed my 120" screen the other night... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So I installed my 120" screen the other night...

Swish
10-10-2011, 10:54 AM
...and all the other pieces of my HT are coming together. I bought the screen from Visual Apex and it was only $400+ shipping, and it was really easy to assemble. They have a video on their website that shows you everything step-by-step and it was as easy as they made it look, and I'm not the most mechanically-inclined person you're going to meet.

I have my Epson Powerlite 8700UB ready to go, but have to complete some work in the ceiling before I can mount the sucker. I'm keeping the throw at their recommended 11'8", or as close as possible to that.

The Oppo BDP-93 is ready to roll, along with my Logitech Harmony One. I had all the other pieces to my audio system; Rotel RSP 1098, Adcom 5 channel and 2 channel amps (mines a 7.1 setup), and Paradigm speakers.

I'm having a small shelf built for the center channel speaker, so it won't be standing up as you see it in the picture. I also have to program the Harmony One but will wait until I have the Epson mounted before I get into that.

As for the room itself, it needs some decorating and I have to change the lighting as the previous owner installed some horrible 2' x 4' fluorescent lights in the basement. They do provide some excellent light while painting and setting up the HT equipment, but I can't wait to rip them out.

kexodusc
10-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Looking good. It's all coming together for you now...

bfalls
10-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Why build a shelf for the center? A lot of the reading I've done says vertical placement is closer to ideal than horizontal. Apparently MTM horizontal placement causes a lobing effect. Is your screen acoustical transparent? Any chance of placing it behind the screen?

GMichael
10-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Great news. I can't wait to read your first review.

manlystanley
10-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Cool! How far back do you sit from the screen? I have a 106" and need to sit fairly far back to avoid eye strain.

Best regards,
Stan

Swish
10-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Why build a shelf for the center? A lot of the reading I've done says vertical placement is closer to ideal than horizontal. Apparently MTM horizontal placement causes a lobing effect. Is your screen acoustical transparent? Any chance of placing it behind the screen?

...and it cannot go behind the screen. I think it will be more aesthetically pleasing, mostly because it will had the speaker wall-plate. I used the same one as the center for my previous HT room and placed it on its side with no audible issues.

Swish
10-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Cool! How far back do you sit from the screen? I have a 106" and need to sit fairly far back to avoid eye strain.

Best regards,
Stan

...so there's plenty of room to move back a bit. I have the seating at about 15' or so now but could move it back a little more. I think it will be just fine actually.

10538Overture
10-18-2011, 02:46 AM
looking good, whats speakers do you use?

Swish
10-18-2011, 09:52 AM
looking good, whats speakers do you use?

To be more specific, I have their Studio 100s up front, their reference series DP-450s (di-poles) for the sides, their PDR 14 sub, and their LCRs for the center and rears.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Swish,
It looking really good man!

ForeverAutumn
10-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Can I come over to watch The Devil Wears Prada?

Mygaffer
10-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Wow, looks great. One day perhaps I'll have the resources for these things...

Swish
11-01-2011, 04:41 AM
Wow, looks great. One day perhaps I'll have the resources for these things...

Just to put this in perspective, my first rear-projection wide-screen TV was about $2300 and that was perhaps 8 years ago?

This screen was all of $440, including shipping, and the Epson projector was $1,850, so I paid about the same for them as I did for that old 53" TV.

You can spend a lot less on a projector and be quite satisfied. Epson makes a couple very good models selling for less than $1500.