Sound by Geography [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sound by Geography

Enochrome
10-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Do stereotypes have some truth them?

Is there such a thing as a British, East & West Coast, Danish and German sound?

I only ask and would like to discuss because I feel that I have turned into an "east coast sound" boy at the moment (west coast based geographically).

I really enjoy my Snells and my Large Advents(talk about bang for the buck, sheeesh).

I recently got some KEF 103.2 and I am not really feeling them. They have a great tonal balance, but they seem too polite and bloated. Actually, the lower range is bloated enough that they actually hurt my ears (first time...actually not true; stock ipod earbuds was the first) I get a swelling sensation in my ears when I listen to them. Hast that ever happened to anyone?

It is weird, because these are so highly regarded and it is said that people rarely ever sell them, I might be the first. Do I just not like the British sound or is their such a thing?

JohnMichael
10-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I think back in the mid 70's speakers were very geographical. I always enjoyed the East Coast sound and avoided the West coast sound. I would rather have AR and Advent than a JBL in those days. I did like the early KEF's and Celestion speakers from Britain. I liked my ADS speakers which were East Coast with a German heritage, Braun.

Today speakers are much more accurate and source of origin is not as important. After all many are being built in China. I just realized I have never owned any speakers from Canada.

JoeE SP9
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
That '"East Coast", West Coast", etc sound really only applies to speakers that are now considered vintage.

harley .guy07
10-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I really think that in today's world it comes down to brand sound characters more than it is location sound character. The Brits have B&W which are super brigrht but then have other speaker brands that are very warm from British company's so I really believe that in today's world it comes down to designer,company, and what their goal is for sound rather than area of the world.

Poultrygeist
10-07-2011, 05:16 AM
The "New England Sound" is perhaps the most geographically referenced with the single most contributions coming from Henry Kloss. Kloss founded AR, KLH, Advent, and Cambridge Sound. His KLH Model Six clone is still sold today by Cambridge Sound and it's one hell of a good speaker at an incredible low price.

LeRoy
10-07-2011, 05:31 AM
Do stereotypes have some truth them?

Is there such a thing as a British, East & West Coast, Danish and German sound?

I only ask and would like to discuss because I feel that I have turned into an "east coast sound" boy at the moment (west coast based geographically).

I really enjoy my Snells and my Large Advents(talk about bang for the buck, sheeesh).

I recently got some KEF 103.2 and I am not really feeling them. They have a great tonal balance, but they seem too polite and bloated. Actually, the lower range is bloated enough that they actually hurt my ears (first time...actually not true; stock ipod earbuds was the first) I get a swelling sensation in my ears when I listen to them. Hast that ever happened to anyone?

It is weird, because these are so highly regarded and it is said that people rarely ever sell them, I might be the first. Do I just not like the British sound or is their such a thing?

I too once had Kef speakers, IQ3, and they only lasted about 90 days before I parted ways with them. I've also parted ways with the PSB and Energy speakers long ago.

The only Brit speakers that I have heard and really liked were from Ruark and ATC. From Canada, Reference 3A.

I can recall the days of Advent but don't remember how they sounded...I know I never bought any of them so apparently they did not do it for either.

I agree with the other posters on this thread....no longer a geographic sound but just better engineering no matter the country of origin.

Poultrygeist
10-07-2011, 09:26 AM
"but just better engineering"

Some of the best drivers ever produced were made in the 1930's and 40's. I just watched a single Jenson Field Coil from the 1930's fetch $3,000 on ebay.

I'd give my first born for a pair of 1940's Western Electric 755A to use in OB. There's nothing currently made to compare them to.

Enochrome
10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Agree with all that is said. My post was in the perspective if vintage speakers. I have picked up quite a few in the last year:

Snell Type Q
Dahlquist DQ-18
Large Advent
Mission 70 MKll
KEF 103.2

My favorites all around: Snell Type Q

Total satisfaction for the money: hands down the Large Advents ($100)

Most conflicting speakers: Kef 103.2 - although amazing for stringed work and beautiful.

Biggest disappointment: Dahlquist DQ-18 - imaging is average, although they are airy and open ( maybe due to the open baffle design of the tweeter)

Ears bleed: Mission 70 - yet I got them for $20.

I agree that since most vintage speakers were made in the country they were designed in, and by the designer based on his knowledge, taste and environment around him/her. Also, that they knew the customer they were designing for in some degree.

I think today's speakers are influenced by those speakers, but also and more importantly, by who designed them and what they are intended for (especially since their are so many different devices that hook up to speakers.

I am talking with a guy for a pair of Spica TC-50; maybe these will provide something a tasty audio treat, they are considered legendary. After that, scale down to the 2,or 3 :ihih: that cover the audio spectrum that I am looking for.

Cheers

harley .guy07
10-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Yes I will agree in the vintage speaker department the location that they were made has more to do with the sound character of the speakers than do today's speakers in my opinion. you had the American sound, The British sound, and ETC... and everyone I have talked to and the vintage stuff I have heard from electronics and speakers both have a region based character to their sound.

LeRoy
10-07-2011, 01:37 PM
"but just better engineering"

Some of the best drivers ever produced were made in the 1930's and 40's. I just watched a single Jenson Field Coil from the 1930's fetch $3,000 on ebay.

I'd give my first born for a pair of 1940's Western Electric 755A to use in OB. There's nothing currently made to compare them to.

I hear you Poultrygeist...I am aware that coil speakers made years ago set a benchmark but I've never had the opportunity to encounter such a speaker...only read about a few....

Better engineering and better parts plus I think the cultural language have lot to do why a speaker gets voiced the way it does....I read a speaker review long ago that remarked about speakers with a lively tweeter were probably made that way due to a language that had a lot more consonants in it- like the German language for instance.

I suppose regional dialects should be taken into account and therefore the production of geo speakers?

Enochrome
10-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I hear you Poultrygeist...I am aware that coil speakers made years ago set a benchmark but I've never had the opportunity to encounter such a speaker...only read about a few....

Better engineering and better parts plus I think the cultural language have lot to do why a speaker gets voiced the way it does....I read a speaker review long ago that remarked about speakers with a lively tweeter were probably made that way due to a language that had a lot more consonants in it- like the German language for instance.

I suppose regional dialects should be taken into account and therefore the production of geo speakers?

I agree!!!!!!

On a side note:

I think I might be eating my words about the KEF 103.2, its starting to grow on me. Listening to them all day while refinishing my Advents. The Kefs carry a great deal timbral weight.

Poultrygeist
10-08-2011, 03:54 AM
The build and sound quality of those older American drivers were second to none. I've heard these same ancient Western Electric Jensens driven by the $30K GM70 in person and it was like the voice of God. Here's the lousy sounding video.

DowdyLama GM-70 amp at Gerry's Place with WE 754/Jensen RP302 speakers - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb_TDsXQkPc&NR=1&feature=fvwp)

Enochrome
10-15-2011, 11:51 AM
I think I am going to disassemble the Rectilinear 3's that are damaged and see if I can use the Philips whizzer cones, the peerless paper cone tweeters, and the woofer in a different configuration. Maybe? I might create a record shelf and liquor cabinet out of the cabinets. Is that sacrilegious?

the hand of boredom
10-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Some great Canadian speaker makers:

Reference 3A in Kitchener
Verity in Montreal
Gershmann Acoustic in Toronto

Heard a new one, REEV Designs from Toronto, at the Toronto Show. Not the most ideal room, butin near field, they were extremely transparent and engaging.