Franks Finally Done it! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Franks Finally Done it!

blackraven
10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Well Frank Van Alstine has finally caved in to pressure. First he recently started puting IEC power cords on his equipment and now he is going to put fancy new face plates on his gear. He has already come out with 2 new hybrid power amps which sound amzing and now he is coming out with a new zero feed back preamp and DAC. Read the link below-

more BRAND NEW high end AVA components (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99122.20)

They are going to debut at the RMAF. I new something was up. I was over at his house the other day and he had about $400 of Blue jeans IC's and speaker cables he was testing. He usually uses cheap rat shack IC's and zip cord at the shows.

Feanor
10-05-2011, 05:23 AM
Well Frank Van Alstine has finally caved in to pressure. First he recently started puting IEC power cords on his equipment and now he is going to put fancy new face plates on his gear. He has already come out with 2 new hybrid power amps which sound amzing and now he is coming out with a new zero feed back preamp and DAC. Read the link below-

more BRAND NEW high end AVA components (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99122.20)

They are going to debut at the RMAF. I new something was up. I was over at his house the other day and he had about $400 of Blue jeans IC's and speaker cables he was testing. He usually uses cheap rat shack IC's and zip cord at the shows.
Val Alstine is a crusty old guy, but he' always been in the right place for offering good product for a reasonable price.

But it's always seemed to be that if I were willing to shell out $2000 for a product, that I'd be willing to pay another $50 for an IEC socket and a decent face plate & knobs.

Being of sound mind, Frank understands that expensive cablers are a fool's game for people with equipment in value range that he offers. (That is, the money spent on expensive cables would b better spent on basic components.)

Ajani
10-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Are the fancy face plates just on the new (most expensive) gear or will he offer better face plates for his cheaper models as well?

Ajani
10-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Val Alstine is a crusty old guy, but he' always been in the right place for offering good product for a reasonable price.

But it's always seemed to be that if I were willing to shell out $2000 for a product, that I'd be willing to pay another $50 for an IEC socket and a decent face plate & knobs.

Being of sound mind, Frank understands that expensive cablers are a fool's game for people with equipment in value range that he offers. (That is, the money spent on expensive cables would b better spent on basic components.)

I agree... I always wonder why someone would buy a $500 DAC then use $800 worth of pwercord and digital IC with it... Why not just buy a $1300 DAC?

My rule of thumb is that any cable I buy must be (substantially) cheaper than my least expensive piece of equipment... So in my case: my Squeezebox Classic ($300)... I just don't see the sense in slapping down $400 cables on a system using a $300 transport...

blackraven
10-05-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure about that Ajani. If I were to bet I would say that at first they would only be on his top of the line gear because he wants to keep the cost down for his customers which is what it is all about with Frank. He was going to obsolete his cheaper preamps and DAC's but he realized that he would be losing a whole customer base that could afford his equipment. His new gear is appraoching high end audiophile prices. Certainly his new power amps are well worth the price and then some.

Ajani
10-07-2011, 10:12 AM
PIcs are up on AVguide... I like the silver look:

Brand new from Audio by Van Alstine--the Fet Valve Series | AVguide (http://www.avguide.com/article/brand-new-audio-van-alstine-the-fet-valve-series)

Feanor
10-07-2011, 10:39 AM
PIcs are up on AVguide... I like the silver look:

Brand new from Audio by Van Alstine--the Fet Valve Series | AVguide (http://www.avguide.com/article/brand-new-audio-van-alstine-the-fet-valve-series)
Looks like the website isn't updated yet, though, do it's not clear if all models will get the new plates. But the silver looks good

I've always prefered silver to black, (strictly personal). But best of all I like a "champagne" (light gold) tone, like these Accuphase or Marantz ...

http://www.accuphase.com/model/photo/c-3800.jpg

http://ca.marantz.com/assets/images/products/SC-11S1/L_SC-11S1_D.png

blackraven
10-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Those fancy new face plates are going to add about $500 to the cost of each unit. Franks new gear is still a bargain but it is certainly taking a chunk out of his reputation of being a lot of bang for the buck. But having auditioned his new amps I must say that they will compete with amps in the $8-10K range.

Feanor
10-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Those fancy new face plates are going to add about $500 to the cost of each unit. Franks new gear is still a bargain but it is certainly taking a chunk out of his reputation of being a lot of bang for the buck. But having auditioned his new amps I must say that they will compete with amps in the $8-10K range.
Well I suppose it isn't such a big surprise. Aren't they're new models? So maybe it isn't just the face plates).

Most AVA models were already beyond my budget. This just ensure they stay there. :sad:

blackraven
10-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Well I suppose it isn't such a big surprise. Aren't they're new models? So maybe it isn't just the face plates).

Most AVA models were already beyond my budget. This just ensure they stay there. :sad:

Bill, the new 400R and 600R amps currently list for $2499 and $2999 with the old chassi. The price jumps up to $2999 and $3499 with the new face plates.

Feanor
10-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Bill, the new 400R and 600R amps currently list for $2499 and $2999 with the old chassi. The price jumps up to $2999 and $3499 with the new face plates.
OK, so you really are paying $500 for just the new face plate?
I bet you could design your own and have it milled to order for less than that -- in fact I know you can ...

Check out Front Panel Express (http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/index.html).

JoeE SP9
10-09-2011, 05:49 PM
$500 seems to be quite a lot for a nice front panel and knobs. I'm with Feanor, Front Panel Express will do just one for a lot less. I'm sure their price for larger numbers would be even lower. BR, maybe you could enlighten AVA about Front Panel Express.

blackraven
10-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Its a new high quality aluminum front panel, no exposed screws, new power switch and blue LED power light. He paid a designer for the new panel and layout. The panel has to have cut outs for power switches and knobs and he has to have his logo printed or etched onto it. Thick aluminum face plates are not cheap as I have been finding out. The face plates also have to be treated, anodized or something similar. Plus he has to add his mark up. You also have to understand, Frank makes every piece to order. He does not keep an inventory of already assembled units. You order a unit and it takes a couple of weeks to be assembled and then shipped. It keeps his overhead down.

Feanor
10-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Its a new high quality aluminum front panel, no exposed screws, new power switch and blue LED power light. He paid a designer for the new panel and layout. The panel has to have cut outs for power switches and knobs and he has to have his logo printed or etched onto it. Thick aluminum face plates are not cheap as I have been finding out. The face plates also have to be treated, anodized or something similar. Plus he has to add his mark up. You also have to understand, Frank makes every piece to order. He does not keep an inventory of already assembled units. You order a unit and it takes a couple of weeks to be assembled and then shipped. It keeps his overhead down.
Frank is entitled to charge what he wants, and if people will pay him, why should he not ask what the market will bear? Looks like he's still offering the old as an option and that's a good thing.

Still $500 seems excessive from a cost POV. He has to do all the same things for the old, less attractive faceplates.

Ajani
10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Another option is to simply allow customers the choice of the expensive pimped out face-plate or the fugly generic one... Since he doesn't keep a stock of plates and has to custom order each one, then there's really no reason not to give customers the extra flexibility...

blackraven
10-10-2011, 06:31 PM
I agree that $500 is excessive. I think that part of that $500 is his revised cost of manufacturing the new amps. I think that the man hours involved is not where he wants it to be and he had to adjust the cost accordingly. He told me a few weeks ago that the price was going to go up for that reason.

Ajani
10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I agree that $500 is excessive. I think that part of that $500 is his revised cost of manufacturing the new amps. I think that the man hours involved is not where he wants it to be and he had to adjust the cost accordingly. He told me a few weeks ago that the price was going to go up for that reason.

Well that makes a lot more sense... As I can't see why he'd choose faceplates that cost $500...