do they make a wire that... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : do they make a wire that...

rightaway
10-03-2011, 05:27 PM
i have a denon reciever. it has only has one sub out. its a single out. i had to buy a wire that went from a single out to a left and right rca connector. now i want to run two subs. how can i get 4 rca out of one out?

Feanor
10-03-2011, 05:54 PM
i have a denon reciever. it has only has one sub out. its a single out. i had to buy a wire that went from a single out to a left and right rca connector. now i want to run two subs. how can i get 4 rca out of one out?
That is likely not a good idea. Your receiver will "see" too low an impedance on its LFE output, and that could damage the receiver and/or adversely effect the bass response.

rightaway
10-03-2011, 06:05 PM
how do people run two subs? they are they own amp.its just needs a signal, right?

rightaway
10-03-2011, 07:08 PM
can i run the preamp for the center or surround channels?

Glen B
10-03-2011, 10:58 PM
You can use an inexpensive Radio Shack EQ with level controls between the receiver's LFE output and subs. The EQ has buffered inputs and outputs and will present a high impedance load to the LFE output. Set the EQ sliders to the flat position, since you're only taking advantage of its buffering and level adjustment features. Connect a Y between the receiver LFE out and EQ inputs. Run an RCA cable from each channel of the EQ to one input of each sub. It should not be necessary to connect to both the R and L sub inputs, since they are summed internally. Use the EQ level controls to increase/balance the sub levels so that both are equal. I use one of these EQs in such fashion to drive my HT system dual subs.

Dual-Channel 15-Band Graphic Equalizer - RadioShack.com (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104027)

rightaway
10-04-2011, 03:48 AM
for some reason, if you only have one rca plugged into the sub, it doesnt sound right(loud) but when you plug both in, its a whole different sub. do they make a a rca that has both both left and right channel and than slip into dual rca outs, 2 lefts and rights channels?

Poultrygeist
10-04-2011, 04:19 AM
I have one good sub in my HT system but two would be way too much in my 16x17 room.

rightaway
10-04-2011, 04:31 AM
i have a huge room. its one big open room. i have a ranch house and the whole basement is the size of the house.

Poultrygeist
10-04-2011, 10:05 AM
My Marantz AVR has two sub LFE outputs plus preouts. But my single 2,700 watt rms Sunfire will already wake the dead.

Poultrygeist
10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
If I understand correctly you are already using a Y cable at the sub so it will trigger on when needed.

You can certainly try a Y cable at the amp with a separate run to the other sub. It's worked in other cases.

It's possible with some subs to daisy chain them together i.e. output from one sub to input of the other sub but check your manual.

Glen B
10-04-2011, 03:22 PM
for some reason, if you only have one rca plugged into the sub, it doesnt sound right(loud) but when you plug both in, its a whole different sub.That is why I suggested the RS EQ. It solves the issue of insufficient signal level when you use one RCA input of the sub. You simply compensate by increasing the signal level via the EQ unit's level controls. Been there done that. Works beautifully for me.

rightaway
10-04-2011, 05:58 PM
what would happen if i use the center channel preamp? does the sub have a cross over? i like the idea of a eq but looking for a cheaper way.

Baniebs
10-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Yeah, it's probably a bad idea

blackraven
10-04-2011, 08:25 PM
What brand, model and size sub are you using. A better idea would be to just buy a larger more powerful and better sub, especially if you are just using it for home theater.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Poultrygeist
10-05-2011, 12:38 PM
One good sub will out perform two average subs.

rightaway
10-05-2011, 02:31 PM
i agree that one good sub will out perform 2 average subs but i have one KLH and i can buy another used one for around 100. a good sub is $500 plus. plus my room is huge and the everything is against the wall but not close to any corners.

blackraven
10-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Here's a great buy in an excellent sub-
Velodyne SPL-1200 For Sale | AudiogoN (http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1319996494&/Velodyne-SPL-1200)

This sub sold for over $1K and has plenty of power to fill a room! In fact, I am considering buying it!

Poultrygeist
10-07-2011, 05:42 AM
Two KLH subs are two KLH subs. A much better option are the subs kits from Parts Express.