World’s largest LED LCD TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : World’s largest LED LCD TV

Smokey
09-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Sharp unveiled its biggest LCD TV to date and what it claims is the “world’s largest LED LCD TV.” At 80 inches, the new Aquos LC-80LE632U is absolutely massive and delivers more than double the screen area of a 55-inch TV.

The new Aquos has a full suite of smart TV apps and features like Netflix, CinemaNow, Vudu, Amazon, Hulu, as well as built-in Wi-Fi. For gamers, it has “Vyper Drive,” a mode that reduces lag between games and the 1080p 120Hz TV screen. The full array LED backlighting system ensures uniformity in both color and brightness from edge to edge and corner to corner while also enabling an incredible dynamic contrast ratio of 6,000,000:1.

The 80-inch Aquos will hit retail in “early October” for $5,500. If you can afford it, this TV can basically turn a 9-foot viewing space into a movie theater.

Photo: Showing the TV next to a dozen 19-inch standard TVs (well, cardboard cutouts of standard 3:4 TVs).
http://cdn2.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/cache/2011/09/P9270270.jpg/600_415_resize.jpg

Sharp Aquos LCD TVs | Sharp unveils massive 80-inch LED LCD TV – impressions and pics (http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sharp-unveils-massive-80-inch-led-lcd-tv-impressions-and-pics/photo/6/)

GMichael
09-30-2011, 06:16 AM
80"? How can anyone watch a TV that small?

Smokey
09-30-2011, 08:49 PM
80"? How can anyone watch a TV that small?

Your projector has spoiled you :D

I don't know. TVs have funny way of getting big when you bring them to home enviroment. After seeing 32 inch LCD in store, I never thought that screen size would be big enough in my room. But after bring it home, suddenly the screen gets bigger.

I imagine an 80 inch would be a mamoth size in medium size home enviroment.

StevenSurprenant
11-02-2011, 07:53 AM
How big is too big?

I have a 52 inch in my living room and I am missing out on much of what 1080p has to offer. I sit about 10 feet from it but with a good picture, I can sit 5 foot from it and see more detail without feeling that I am too close (in terms of resolution). I thought about going to a 60 inch, but that would be the same size as the frame around my TV which isn't much of an improvement. A 70 inch would be more ideal and a noticeable size increase over the 52 inch.

Going from 70 inch to 80 inch would be about the same increase in relative size as my going from 52 inch to 60 inch, which is a minor increase.

That aside, I think 80 inch is doable for a 10 foot viewing distance. A 70 inch would be just about as good.

Most of the time, my 52 inch feels like it is more than adequate, but sometimes I wish it was bigger.

Hyfi
11-02-2011, 08:27 AM
I feel so inadequate with my tiny 42" screen :)

StevenSurprenant
11-03-2011, 03:41 AM
I feel so inadequate with my tiny 42" screen :)

You know that this "HAS" to be said...

It's not the size that counts, its' ....

Charlie04SiR
11-03-2011, 07:46 PM
That is truly a spectacle to behold. I bet the thing requires a crane to move. Since the biggest has been established, now howabout a reflection on the smallest LCD? Remembered fondly, the Seiko T-001 TV Watch, introduced in early 1983, and featured in the James Bond movie Octopussy. Today they are nothing more than museum pieces as analog antenna reception is no more. I still keep the one my father had, for sentimental value. He never wore it, and it has never even had a battery put in it, so it is basically NOS. I can put up a picture if ya'all want to see it :)

StevenSurprenant
11-04-2011, 02:20 AM
That is truly a spectacle to behold. I bet the thing requires a crane to move. Since the biggest has been established, now howabout a reflection on the smallest LCD? Remembered fondly, the Seiko T-001 TV Watch, introduced in early 1983, and featured in the James Bond movie Octopussy. Today they are nothing more than museum pieces as analog antenna reception is no more. I still keep the one my father had, for sentimental value. He never wore it, and it has never even had a battery put in it, so it is basically NOS. I can put up a picture if ya'all want to see it :)

I remember seeing one of those. If I remember correctly, the electronics were in case that clipped to your belt and you had to run a wire down your shirt sleeve to the watch/TV. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Treading into nostalgia... I remember when they were selling Fresnel lenses to make the TV picture larger. I also remember a plastic screen that you could put on a B&W TV to make it color. It was "blue" on top (for sky), "reddish" in the middle (for skin), and "green" on the bottom for grass.

Worf101
11-04-2011, 05:43 AM
I've got a '52-incher in the living room and a 42" in the bedroom. I think I could use a larger in the living room but eh... If I were move into a house wherein I could build a dedicated HT room then I'd probably go projector. One thing about so massive a TV though is you'd certainly know you were seening something "special" and so would the neighbors across the street.

Worf

johnathan500
11-24-2011, 10:47 PM
That's cool