Looking for good quality stereo rack/cabinet [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good quality stereo rack/cabinet

Mike Anderson
09-28-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm in the market for a good quality stereo rack/cabinet. Any advice?

I've looked around on the Internet obviously, but it's really hard to tell what is junk and what is quality just by looking at pictures and descriptions.

I have a preference for wood, but would not rule out metal. The wife would like something that hides the cords as much as possible.

Budget would max out around $1,000, unless someone can show me something that can also be used in conjunction with a large-screen TV.

Thanks

lomarica
09-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Salamander has lots of options. It might be over your budget but I am very happy with mine. As my father told me, whatever you buy you will have for the next 20 years or more so get what you want

hope this helps

TheHills44060
09-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Yesterday I just picked up a metal BDI Deploy Max tv stand with glass shelves and I am really pleased with it. Simple and classy looking but very functional. Holds the 65" tv easily.

For audio components I have a Sonus Systems Elite 5 shelf rack. Black metal with glass shelves also.

I agree with lomarica...if you plan on keeping it for the long haul go for what you really like.

elapsed
09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Sanus, BDI and Salamander are all high quality and reputable manufacturers. Also consider Bello, JSP and StudioTech.

cheers,
elapsed

Feanor
09-29-2011, 04:32 AM
I'm in the market for a good quality stereo rack/cabinet. Any advice?

I've looked around on the Internet obviously, but it's really hard to tell what is junk and what is quality just by looking at pictures and descriptions.

I have a preference for wood, but would not rule out metal. The wife would like something that hides the cords as much as possible.

Budget would max out around $1,000, unless someone can show me something that can also be used in conjunction with a large-screen TV.

Thanks
Mike Anderson: looked what the cat drugg in! Good to hear from you, Mike. :22:

What is that about women and cables?

I mostly have to settle for junk or DIY so I can't really recommend anything.

JohnMichael
09-29-2011, 05:38 AM
My rack is solid maple and Amish built. The rack is solid and heavy. It cost a little over $400 and really absorbs vibrations from the equipment. Of course if you wanted the rack to look high tech Amish is not the way to go. I chose maple because of what I read in the Mapleshade catalog as why they use maple.

My rack is in pictures in my thread about the Monitor Audio RS6's. I like that if I buy a different rack one day the old rack will still work nicely as a table in another room.

Jack in Wilmington
09-29-2011, 10:02 AM
I use the Sanus NFA-245 C1 stand. Great contemporary design, which a touch of wood. They have them at Amazon for around $280.00. Nice air flow so your equipment doesn't overheat, which is critical when you're running tube gear. Check my photo gallery for pictures of my rack.

Hyfi
09-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Mapleshade

Mapleshade Audio Products (http://www.mapleshadestore.com/galleries.php)

Feanor
09-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I mostly have to settle for junk or DIY ...
Well, speaking of DIY, I did make a stereo, (single column), rack a couple of months ago; cost me about $40 out-of-pocket. It might not satisfy everybody's aesthetic ideal, though.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/500/medium/Nikon_066_X1_.jpg

Poultrygeist
09-29-2011, 01:10 PM
The nice thing about the DIY TNT Flexy is that it can grow with your system and when others ask where you bought that nice rack you can puff out your chest and say, "well, I made it".

Bill gets lots of compliments on his yellow audio hutch. Right Bill?

The TNT FleXy Table (http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html)

StaHiMooney
09-30-2011, 05:06 AM
Hello

StaHiMooney
09-30-2011, 05:07 AM
Not trying to spam... I just need 5 posts to create a new question.

StaHiMooney
09-30-2011, 05:07 AM
I did the "amatuer" review of the Realistic Mach Ones. LOL

StaHiMooney
09-30-2011, 05:08 AM
So anyhow I now have 6 of them... the later Mach Ones.

StaHiMooney
09-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Two of them were "upgraded" with mach 2 woofers. sigh... insert facepalm here. They sound ok but different. The other four need some TLC on the surrounds of the woofers.

Amazon carries a woofer replacement supposedly made to same specs...

Search amazon for Realistic Mach One

I may try those out for the price for the two that were defiled with Mach 2 woofers... I figure what can I lose right? If they sound like refried (booty) then they go back amazon's pretty good about returns.

Woohoo five posts... game on.

JoeE SP9
09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
I believe Parts Express has exact replacement woofers for Mach 1's.

Mike Anderson
09-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Mike Anderson: looked what the cat drugg in! Good to hear from you, Mike. :22:

What is that about women and cables?

I mostly have to settle for junk or DIY so I can't really recommend anything.

Hey there Feanor! Yeah, it's been a few years, hasn't it?

I promised myself, way back when, that I wasn't going to blow any more dough on stereo gear until I'd saved up enough for a house. Well now we're in contract on a house, so I'm spending a few bucks to make the stereo setup look nice. It's going into the living room after all.

Still got those tubes you sent me. How you doing these days?

Mike Anderson
09-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Sanus, BDI and Salamander are all high quality and reputable manufacturers. Also consider Bello, JSP and StudioTech.

cheers,
elapsed

I'm definitely looking at the Salamander stuff. I like the flexible, modular aspect of it. I could put a TV on top of it, so I might be able to expand my budget a bit.

I see the Sanus stuff online -- is there any/much particle-board or cardboard in it? I'm really hoping for something w/o that stuff. All hardwood, metal, and/or glass hopefully.

Glen B
10-17-2011, 02:51 PM
I use Salamander Synergy for both my 2-channel and HT system racks. What I like the best are the modular aspects, and accessories available.

JoeE SP9
10-17-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm definitely looking at the Salamander stuff. I like the flexible, modular aspect of it. I could put a TV on top of it, so I might be able to expand my budget a bit.

I see the Sanus stuff online -- is there any/much particle-board or cardboard in it? I'm really hoping for something w/o that stuff. All hardwood, metal, and/or glass hopefully.Take a look at the DIY "Flexy" from www.tnt-audio.com (http://www.tnt-audio.com) . I built a twelve shelf dual "flexy" and couldn't be happier. It can be as inexpensive or expensive as you wish. You could use Granite or an exotic wood for the shelves. You could use 4 pieces of all thread instead of 3.
For me, one 4' x 8' x 3/4"sheet of MDF ($35 including cutting) yielded twelve 18" x 24" shelves. I use two pieces of all thread in the middle and one on each end. That saved me $3.50 (cost of one 36" piece of all thread). The most expensive part was a box of 50 nuts from Home Depot ($59). I don't remember what the washers cost. A couple of coats of Black Krylon took care of the finish.