Wilco freakin' Wilco! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wilco freakin' Wilco!

Swish
09-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Contrary to what Fall Girl posted last week, I saw Wilco with Nick Lowe as the opening act on Sunday night, and Wilco blew the place apart. It was good seeing Nick, but one guy with an acoustic playing at a packed amphitheater with about 14,000 people wasn't going to top the 3 guitar attack of Wilco, arguably one of the best bands working today.

I love the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD, although it's a 2 hour drive for us. There's free parking in the grass-covered parking lot, some of it still muddy after all the recent rain. Many tailgate before the shows, and we did too, packing some sandwiches and beer to enjoy before entering the venue.

Nick was in fine voice, his throat infection apparently cured, and he played a dozen songs in less than an hour;

People Change
Heart
What's Shakin' on the Hill
Ragin' Eyes
All Men Are Liars
Lately I've Let Things Slide
I Live on a Battlefield
I Read a Lot
Cruel to Be Kind
Alison
When I Write the Book (Rockpile!)
Peace, Love and Understanding

As I mentioned, it was good to see him, but 99.9% of the attendees were there for Wilco, and they were out about 20 minutes after Nick was done.

The stage had all sorts of fur pelts or something that looked like fur pelts, hanging down all over the place (check the picture below). We were stage left with a nice big video screen straight ahead of us, highlighting solos and the like.

This is the third time I've seen Wilco, and it was easily the best show of the three. They played nearly everything I wanted to hear, rocking like crazy most of the time. While Jeff isn't the most affable guy in the world (yes, I read J's reply to Fall Girl) he did make some funny comments, especially before they played 'Box Full of Letters' from A.M., a record he said 'about 6 people bought'.

They also brought out Nick Lowe for a song during the encore, and Tweedy called Lowe 'his idol', drawing cheers from the crowd.

Speaking of the encore, it was killer, especially the finale of Monday/Outtasite (Outta Mind). What a great finish.

I picked up the deluxe version of their new CD, and t-shirts for my wife and I. Go ahead and laugh, but I likes me some t-shirts.

Here's the setlist:

Art of Almost
I Might
Black Moon
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
One Wing
Bull Black Nova
One Sunday Morning (Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)
Impossible Germany
Born Alone
Handshake Drugs
Jesus, Etc.
Dawned on Me
Box Full of Letters
Standing O
War on War
A Shot in the Arm

Encore

Via Chicago
Whole Love
36 Inches High (with Nick Lowe)
Heavy Metal Drummer
I'm the Man Who Loves You
Monday
Outtasite (Outta Mind)

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2011, 11:17 AM
14,000? Wow. Our show was about 2500. A different type of energy at your show I'm sure.

Judging by the set list, it looks like you got a longer show than we did. And if they'd played Heavy Metal Drummer at our show that would have made the price of admission worth it for me with one song. That song was written for me baby. It's my song. I loves me a drummer. :)

I was really hoping for an encore with Nick Lowe at our show, but poor Nick probably wasn't up to it. I hope, for his sake, that he was in bed and fast asleep by the time Wilco was finished.

I'm glad that you and your current spouse had a great time Swishy. :)

Up next for me is Elbow tomorrow night. I'm totally stoked!!!

Swish
09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
14,000? Wow. Our show was about 2500. A different type of energy at your show I'm sure.

Judging by the set list, it looks like you got a longer show than we did. And if they'd played Heavy Metal Drummer at our show that would have made the price of admission worth it for me with one song. That song was written for me baby. It's my song. I loves me a drummer. :)

I was really hoping for an encore with Nick Lowe at our show, but poor Nick probably wasn't up to it. I hope, for his sake, that he was in bed and fast asleep by the time Wilco was finished.

I'm glad that you and your current spouse had a great time Swishy. :)

Up next for me is Elbow tomorrow night. I'm totally stoked!!!

...the lawn are that stretches far behind the covered seating area. Wilco is a very different band since the first time I saw them, and I doubt they will ever return to their roots rock past, not that I'm complaining.

My next show is Wednesday night with Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks at the TLA in Philly. Then it's the end of October for my 3rd Lucinda Williams show and, hopefully Ryan Adams on December 2nd. I'm expecting that show to sell out really fast, so I'm not counting my chickens just yet. They go on sale this Friday.

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Ooh! I'll have to see if Ryan Adams is coming here. I was listening to some stuff off of Cold Roses, just this morning. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Yep! Dec. 10. Pre-sale starts on Thursday and tickets are only $50 after service charges. :D He's playing an interesting venue. I've seen plays there but it's not often used for concerts. I'll have to see whether I can get tickets on Thursday.

Mr MidFi
09-27-2011, 12:13 PM
NP: The Whole Love

I'm only 6 tracks in, and I've already got my money's worth. Me likey. And I'll have plenty of time to get acquainted with it before I see them in December.

Swish, that set-list looks awesome to me. Hope I get one that good.

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2011, 12:17 PM
NP: The Whole Love

I'm only 6 tracks in, and I've already got my money's worth. Me likey. And I'll have plenty of time to get acquainted with it before I see them in December.

Swish, that set-list looks awesome to me. Hope I get one that good.

My copy shipped yesterday. I'm hoping it's sitting in the mailbox as I type this. :)

dean_martin
09-27-2011, 01:17 PM
I tried to tune into the MWPP show which aired live on NPR. I picked up a little of Nick Lowe's set but couldn't keep a signal for all the surrounding Jesus stations. It's tough livin' in the sticks.

Anyhow, my experience at the Wilco show in Mobile was awesome! I had built it up in my mind as a "bucket list" type event. I was going to see them before I died or they died/stopped touring. Amazingly, the show exceeded my expectations.

FA - I saw Ryan Adams and the Cardinals a couple years ago when they were touring for the Easy Tiger album. It was a good show. I think I posted a review here. I picked up the album. It's on clear orange vinyl and came with a 3 or 4 song dvd of a live-in-studio performance. Nice package.

poppachubby
09-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey Swish, yesterday on my way to work I listened to Wilco on the CBC. Here's a link to some video of their performance, and podcast of the full interview. The show is simply titled "Q" and is frankly amazing. I would suggest you scan their podcast archive, you can thank me later.

CBC.ca | Q | Wilco on Q (http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2011/09/27/wilco-on-q/)

WalterS
09-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Whiskeytown > Wilco

Stone
09-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Whiskeytown is back together??!?!?

Mr MidFi
12-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Wilco and Nick Lowe for me and Mrs_MidFi tonight, at the Civic Opera House in Chicago. This will be her first Wilco show, and my fourth.

I usually hate Monday-night shows, but I have high hopes for this one!

ForeverAutumn
12-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice. Have a great time!

Mr MidFi
12-13-2011, 06:36 AM
What. A. Homecoming!

The show was sublime, and the acoustics of the Opera House are phenomenal. It was the first show of Wilco's 5-night, 5-venue Chicago "residency," and the last show with Nick Lowe as the opener. The band was loose and playing like they were happy to be home. I've never heard Jeff in finer voice. And the newer songs sparkled.

The Set List...

1. One Sunday Morning (Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)

2. Poor Places

3. Art of Almost

4. I Might

5. Misunderstood

6. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

7. One Wing

8. Rising Red Lung

9. Impossible Germany

10. Far, Far Away

11. What Light

12. Born Alone

13. Jesus, Etc.

14. Capitol City

15. War on War

16. Box Full of Letters

17. Pot Kettle Black

18. Dawned on Me

19. A Shot in the Arm

Encore:

20. Whole Love

21. Heavy Metal Drummer

22. Candyfloss

23. I’m the Man Who Loves You

24. Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Encore 2:

25. Cruel to Be Kind (with Nick Lowe)

26. You’re Not Alone (with Mavis Staples)

27. The Weight (with Staples and Lowe)

Swish
12-13-2011, 02:35 PM
What. A. Homecoming!

The show was sublime, and the acoustics of the Opera House are phenomenal. It was the first show of Wilco's 5-night, 5-venue Chicago "residency," and the last show with Nick Lowe as the opener. The band was loose and playing like they were happy to be home. I've never heard Jeff in finer voice. And the newer songs sparkled.

The Set List...

1. One Sunday Morning (Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)

2. Poor Places

3. Art of Almost

4. I Might

5. Misunderstood

6. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

7. One Wing

8. Rising Red Lung

9. Impossible Germany

10. Far, Far Away

11. What Light

12. Born Alone

13. Jesus, Etc.

14. Capitol City

15. War on War

16. Box Full of Letters

17. Pot Kettle Black

18. Dawned on Me

19. A Shot in the Arm

Encore:

20. Whole Love

21. Heavy Metal Drummer

22. Candyfloss

23. I’m the Man Who Loves You

24. Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Encore 2:

25. Cruel to Be Kind (with Nick Lowe)

26. You’re Not Alone (with Mavis Staples)

27. The Weight (with Staples and Lowe)

They seemed pretty happy when we saw them, although it sounds like this was really special since they were home and had Mavis come out for a couple songs. Lucky basturd (pun intended).

Mr MidFi
12-14-2011, 07:16 AM
I saw Mavis & Tweedy do The Weight about a year and a half ago. She lends a whole lot of depth, authenticity and soul to that old chestnut, no doubt. (And of course, she kills it in The Last Waltz too.)

Mr MidFi
12-14-2011, 11:09 AM
If you have 10 minutes to spare, and are in the mood for a really somber and pensive song, here's a pro-quality hi-def video of "One Sunday Morning" from that show...

Clickitty-click (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNUG6-E2RQg)

ForeverAutumn
12-14-2011, 11:36 AM
If you have 10 minutes to spare, and are in the mood for a really somber and pensive song, here's a pro-quality hi-def video of "One Sunday Morning" from that show...

Clickitty-click (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNUG6-E2RQg)

Is there cowbell in it?