Daber Audio Monitor 3 Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Daber Audio Monitor 3 Review

Bjorn154
09-27-2011, 08:14 AM
I have now had the Daber Monitor 3's for two weeks and have had a chance to do some critical listening. I have the rounded cabinets in maple that Steve provides for a small extra fee. They are gorgeous with very high end carpentry work! The first thing that will strike you is the deep, tight bass for such a relatively small speaker. I doubt anyone but the most avid bass fan will see the need for a subwoofer in a two-channel setup. The mids are very satisfying and the highs are clear and precise. Vocals are rendered in a very natural fashion. The soundstage competes with the best. My wife, who is very musically inclined, even prefers them over my Acoustic Zen Adagios. A very different speaker and a matter of taste, but still high praise from a very musical person. I love them both for different reasons. To say that I am pleased with the results would be an understatement. In summary I think this must be one of the best values in speakers out there and they are made in the USA by a small entrepreneurial company. Give them a try - you will not be disappointed!

As a side note the speaker stands for the Volla speakers fit as if made for these speakers (rounded) - got them from MSS HIFI at a decent preice. Steve is planning on making stands for them as well in the near future.

Hyfi
09-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Congrats! Very nice looking speakers for sure. What are you driving them with?

Bjorn154
09-27-2011, 12:52 PM
I have them as secondary apeakers in my living room driven from my Mac Mini to BelCanto DAC 1.5 to NAD 775 HD in analog pass-through mode. Even in this rather large room I really do not see the need for a sub. Very sweet!