IS the PS3 a good blue ray player? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : IS the PS3 a good blue ray player?

rightaway
09-25-2011, 05:25 PM
i'm looking to buy a ps3 half for gaming and half for movies. i'm not sure what give a blueray player better than another

bfalls
09-26-2011, 05:42 AM
During the first couple of years of Blu-ray the PS3 was considered to be the best player. It's processing power, quick start-up and easy upgrade capability made it a no-brainer. However now the gap seems to be lessening. There are several manufacturers and players which rival the PS3 at a substantially lower cost. It's still very good, just not as much to justify the much higher cost.

GMichael
09-26-2011, 06:52 AM
It makes a fine BR player and you won't be able to play games on any other BR players. Another advantage is that it is upgradable. When I bought mine, 3D wasn't available for home use. Now it's been upgraded to 3D. Anyone who bought a BR player back then instead, will need a new one to get 3D. I'm sure that there will be more upgrades as time goes on.
The disadvantage that I see is that it doesn't have 7.1 analog out. You'll have to use the HDMI port or settle for 5.1 through the optical port. That's not an isue for me, but for some it is.

eisforelectronic
09-27-2011, 05:24 PM
It plays and games well, but it's also just about the most eco-unfriendly piece of electronics you could have in your home.

RGA
09-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Depends how much of a videophile you are. It's always considered very good but not in the top class for movie playback.

I don't care all that much because I don't watch 3 movies every night every day day in and day out. I might watch a movie on it once a month. So for me - it's good enough.

The games to me often have much better story lines than most films and it's the only one that plays games. It's very fast and so easy to use even my 74 year old mother figured it out in under an hour.

And the price dropped $50 recently which is a nice bonus - especially for me in Hong Kong as there is no tax.

Enochrome
09-30-2011, 12:25 PM
It is a no brainer:

They just dropped the price, they just had an update for all models that makes it blazingly fast and responsive ( think Snow Leopard Mac update), you get to play exclusive games that are establishing themselves as vanguards of the industry ( Uncharted, Little Big Planet, and Heavy Rain).

Lastly, since this is Audio Review, you have your own music server with a hard drive, with a DAC (especially the new ones that have DOLBY TRUE HD ) that is great.

It is still regarded as one of the finest blue-ray players.

Go get, you will be pleased.

Enochrome
09-30-2011, 12:27 PM
It plays and games well, but it's also just about the most eco-unfriendly piece of electronics you could have in your home.

I heard the new models have dropped their power consumption by
40 to 60 percent?

rightaway
09-30-2011, 05:39 PM
i went out and bought on. it wont connect to the wireless internet. and any specials setting that i should use to make it better?

Baniebs
10-04-2011, 08:15 PM
It's worked great for me!

eisforelectronic
10-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I heard the new models have dropped their power consumption by
40 to 60 percent?

I hope so, standby consumption was in the neighborhood of 600w or something