So I met Colin Malloy last night... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So I met Colin Malloy last night...

Mr MidFi
09-23-2011, 06:18 AM
He and his wife were in my neck of the woods for a book-reading/signing event... they collaborated on a young-adult fantasy book, called Wildwood. They told an interesting story of how the book came about, and it was great to see them in a very small bookstore setting like that.

So later, while they were signing 3 books for my lovely wife, I shook hands with Colin and talked with him briefly about REM. I told him the story about how, half a lifetime ago, I had talked Peter Buck into buying his first CD player. That raised his eyebrow. "Really? How'd you do that?" he asked, knowing what a vinyl freak Peter was (and is).

I gave him the short version of the story, which takes place in a bar in Athens, Ga. in 1985 and culminates in my telling PB that the new Mission of Burma album was only going to be released on CD. Without missing a beat, he (Colin Meloy) looks me straight in the eye and says "Oh yeah, was that the 80-minute compilation that wouldn't play on some players?" I said no (it was actually Horrible Truth), but it showed me how sharp and engaged he was just to ask that question after talking for a solid hour and then signing dozens and dozens of books for legions of flannel-clad hipsters at a sleepy suburban bookstore.

I wished them both luck, thanked them both for the autographs, and beat it.

[Note: That's not me on the right of the photo.]

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320035_2153022778932_1047281608_32000681_928360303 _n.jpg

noddin0ff
09-23-2011, 06:39 AM
That's pretty cool. I was listening to him on the Wait, wait podcast (http://www.npr.org/2011/09/17/140532512/the-decemberists-colin-meloy-plays-not-my-job) and was totally impressed by how quick he was. The guy's got sumpin goin' on upstairs.

jonnyhambone
09-23-2011, 07:29 AM
cool - good to see good people doing well. I went to school with both of them - esp. with Carson (Colin's wife) as she was getting her BFA in painting while I was too. Several years later, I hadn't heard The Decemberists yet and saw Carson's painting on a cd (Castaways and Cutouts). Bought it 'cuz of that and low and behold - cool tunes!

ForeverAutumn
09-23-2011, 07:54 AM
That's very cool. He probably enjoyed having someone to talk to that had a cool story to tell rather than the usual "I love your music, man" stuff that he probably hears all the time.

Finch Platte
09-23-2011, 01:11 PM

Swish
10-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Seeing them live a few years back was fantastic and they really impressed me. I'd see them again if I had the opportunity.