Huge Star Wars screening,,,,, [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Huge Star Wars screening,,,,,

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Over the weekend I had two screening parties for the Star Wars series. I had twenty people over for gourmet lunch and dinner(thanks to my best friend being a chef), and to view the movies. Aside from the editorial changes(you know Lucas is going to do that!), the movies(with some DNR issues) looked spectacular, and sounded out of this world.

I am not going to address the editorial changes or the controversy that surrounds them. Technically speaking, this release is as good as it get's, though the lack of DNR would have made it better. Star Wars had far more DNR than the other releases. On a 180" screen, the last three looked more film like than the first three films. The reality is, the last three have been scrubbed clean of grain, and the first three were digital and never had grain. Waxy faces do crop up with the DNR'd films, and there are some very small issues that will not be seen on flat panel televisions.

Sound wise, this release gets my highest recommendation, and then some. You can tell they went back to the studio and did a near field mix, as these movies sounded better both spatially and proportion wise on my 7.1 music/HT system, than it did on the system in my signature, which is calibrated based on theatrical standards. Bass is stupendous, and gave my H-PAS subs a real workout on both systems.

Now I know these titles have been double dipped, tripled dipped, and just plain dipped over Laserdisc, VHS, DVD, and now Bluray. However, if you really love the Star Wars movies, and can bear the changes that have been made to them, this is a must buy......until the next special edition release comes out three years from now. LOL!

recoveryone
09-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Sir T you beat me to it, my copy came in Friday and I have yet to break the seal. :(

recoveryone
09-20-2011, 07:24 AM
I watch Episode 1 last night and 2 this morning, and T was right on the money about the surround. The Pod race in Ep1 is worth a playback a few times and in Ep 2 the opening scene Padme returning, The Asteroid battle (the best to me) and the ending battle had so much more depth. This was just on my bedroom setup with 5.1, tonight I will watch one on the 7.1 setup downstairs :)

Watch Ep 4 on the 7.1 setup and WOW this is the best I have ever seen of this movie. It look more film like than any other movie I have watch. It reminded me of the old westerns in 70mm. I only made it about half way (old age set in), but I will finish it today. The LFE track is strong and dialog was still clear.

kexodusc
09-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Got through Ep. 1. Sir T is right...it is stunning! Several Harry Potter movies later, Jar Jar ain't nearly as annoying as I remembered him.

djpnutz
09-24-2011, 10:28 AM
i have never watched star wars, but i guess if i was going to that would be the way to do it

Tarheel_
09-29-2011, 12:14 PM
I cannot agree more with Sir TT....

I purchased the older movies and cannot believe how great they look and sound. The audio is perfect in volume and panning from speaker to speaker is eerily realistic.

I own the VHS-Laserdisc-DVD copies, but still found these 3 movies worth every penny paid. Empire is jaw dropping period!

imurgame
10-19-2011, 02:59 AM
Star Wars rock!!