Emmy winner Downton Abbey? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Emmy winner Downton Abbey?

dean_martin
09-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Didn't watch the Emmys, but in reviewing the winners I noted that this dramatic 7-part series from the BBC won several. Unfortunately, I had never heard of it. Anyone familiar with it?

Worf101
09-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Didn't watch the Emmys, but in reviewing the winners I noted that this dramatic 7-part series from the BBC won several. Unfortunately, I had never heard of it. Anyone familiar with it?
If you search you'll see I did a review in one of my multi-viewing threads. To summarize, great viewing. My limey friends (I do have friends you know) felt it was a bit of a "soap opera" at times. I agree it is a soap opera but one with magnificent acting, brilliant sets, marvelous costumes and if you know anything of English history and class system.. a wonder to behold. You could do much worse. Your hero's and heroines are good and well drawn, your villains are vile but they're all complex. The only major quibble I have is that one scene, the flower competition, is lifted almost line for line from 1941's "Mrs. Miniver". I was so incensed at this bit of "artistic license" I almost shot the Big Screen in disgust. But other than that effin' brilliant. Can't wait for the second series.

Worf

dean_martin
09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
What? Me, search? Fat chance!

Good job my friend. I try to read all your "viewings" posts. That one must have slipped my eyes or my mind - probably my mind. Anyhow, thanks for the illumination. I hope to find re-runs airing soon.