5.1 sacd analog compatibility? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 sacd analog compatibility?

Jottle
04-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Hello All,

I have the Onkyo HT-R510 receiver and am trying to verify if I can use the SONY DVP-NC685V sacd dvd player with it. The sony sacd player outputs 5.1 analog audio. I do not see anywhere in my receiver manual whether my receiver can handle this type of input. Do I just connect the player to my receiver via regular stereo channel rca plugs and use my prologic dsp to use sacd? Or do I need special 5.1 analog inputs for my receiver? I'm very confused.

thanks.

paul_pci
04-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Hello All,

I have the Onkyo HT-R510 receiver and am trying to verify if I can use the SONY DVP-NC685V sacd dvd player with it. The sony sacd player outputs 5.1 analog audio. I do not see anywhere in my receiver manual whether my receiver can handle this type of input. Do I just connect the player to my receiver via regular stereo channel rca plugs and use my prologic dsp to use sacd? Or do I need special 5.1 analog inputs for my receiver? I'm very confused.

thanks.

You need what is typically called a multi-channel input (analog bypass) on the back of the receiver. Could also be called 5,6,7 channel input. I couldn't find your exact model online, but I'm guessing it probably doesn't have a multi-channel input. You could use a regular two channel analog input but you'd only be getting stereo SACD sound. I wouldn't recommend using prologic because it will degrade the signal and defeat the purpose of SACD. Also, there are apparently many SACDs programmed only for stereo playback anyway. Try it out, you might like it, but if you're receiver doesn't have the multi-channel input, there's not much else you can do.