new to portable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new to portable

harley .guy07
09-15-2011, 12:03 PM
I have been a home audio nut all my life and theater guy for part of it (though it takes second to audio) and I have heard and used a lot of equipment plus actually worked it a shop selling high end for a while in the 90's but i am new to the portable audio thing. I just bought a sansa clip 8gb and a 16 gb card and filled it up with part of my collection from my external hard drive since I sure can't take my home system to school with me since I went back to college about a year ago. i have been using it with a pair of $30 dollar sony earbuds which aren't bad but I really had to eq the sansa to keep the bass from being way overbearing but from what I have read that is what they market the cheap earbuds too is kids who like boomy bass. So I ordered just the other day a pair of Grado sr80i's and a Fiio E5 portable headphone amplifier since it was about as small as the sansa and seems to put out good power and I know that going from ear buds to cans can leave you wanting more power from portable players. I hope I have went the right direction since I have heard that the sansa puts out more power than most portables and sometimes enough for cans but I ordered the amp anyway because I figured I could use it for one-to improve the performance of the Grado's and two- to take some of the drain off of the Sansa so it will last longer playing flac files.
Let me know what you guys think of this setup and I will let you know as soon as everything gets in and I try it myself as well. I just went with what was rated well and seemed to have the sound character I liked which is detailed and natural and nuetral which the grado's are said to have for the money.

Hyfi
09-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Nice choice in the Grados. I have always wondered what my 125s would sound like with an ipod or similar.

harley .guy07
09-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Well I will let you know how they work when I get them with and without the added headphone amp since I want to play around with it and see how much of a difference it does make.