Plasma: In my cart, do i pull the trigger on LG 50PZ550? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Plasma: In my cart, do i pull the trigger on LG 50PZ550?

Johnny B. Galt
09-14-2011, 09:24 AM
I've been dead set on buying a Panasonic ST30 50 inch plasma this fall. However, I am now tempted by the price of the LG 50PZ550 which I can get new (plus glasses) from a great vendor for $700 shipped. Any thoughts on this set?

This isn't a plasma versus lcd/led decision for me (sorry, Pix). This is a do I save $300 by going with a set other than that which I thought I wanted....

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I've been dead set on buying a Panasonic ST30 50 inch plasma this fall. However, I am now tempted by the price of the LG 50PZ550 which I can get new (plus glasses) from a great vendor for $700 shipped. Any thoughts on this set?

This isn't a plasma versus lcd/led decision for me (sorry, Pix). This is a do I save $300 by going with a set other than that which I thought I wanted....

I am going to be honest Johnny B, 3D on a 50" screen is a very underwhelming experience. You really have to start at 55" to keep the images from shrinking into the glasses. However, Panasonic plasma's are the 3D benchmark for 3D presentation, so you are going to have to make a slight choice between price and performance and decide which is more important to you.

kelsci
09-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi Johnny; I would do an internet search on both models to see what people thought of these 2 sets as a review. I went over to Amazon.com and found reviews on both sets. I personally am unable to go out and look at these two sets but if you can find some local dealers that have these units I think you should look at them. The Panasonics have had overall very good reviews for their 3-D and overall picture quality.

I just noticed that Sir Terrence chimed in. He is an engineer and as such it is wise to take his advice. He did not say anything anymore different that what I said above. As for a screen size, that is another matter.

Johnny B. Galt
09-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the input. I had my mind made up on the Panny ST because of the reviews I'd seen and that Home Theater and S&V mags had it as one of their entry-level recommended components. I viewed an ST and the non-3D S model. The picture did look a little better on the ST (maybe it was the InfiniteBlack 2 feature or perhaps it was all the power of suggestion.)

Good to learn the size considerations for 3D. 3D wasn't initially of any interest to me. But the LG including glasses would have at least prompted me to try it out! I wasn't able to view the LG so I'm curious about it. I probably shouldn't buy just on price but it does tempt me. Off to do some research...

Poultrygeist
09-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I bought the Panasonic 55ST30 in June and couldn't be more pleased. There's a lot of difference between 50 inches and 55. I sit about 10 feet from the screen and a 50 inch would have been too small but a 55 inch seems just right. Panasonic is the gold standard for plasma.

Watch Amazon for great discounts. There will be some rock bottom prices if you can wait till Black Friday.

BadAssJazz
09-16-2011, 08:27 AM
I bought the Panasonic 55ST30 in June and couldn't be more pleased. There's a lot of difference between 50 inches and 55. I sit about 10 feet from the screen and a 50 inch would have been too small but a 55 inch seems just right. Panasonic is the gold standard for plasma.

Watch Amazon for great discounts. There will be some rock bottom prices if you can wait till Black Friday.

As someone who upgraded from a 50" to a larger flatscreen, I couldn't agree more -- and that's with respect to a non-3D plasma. I imagine the OP would enjoy a similarly immersive effect.