help:Dynaudio Audience 60 vs kef reference model one‏ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : help:Dynaudio Audience 60 vs kef reference model one‏

rightaway
09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
i'm looking to buy on of theses sets used. i have read all the reviews and they seem equal. i'm looking for a great sounding speaker that has bright highs and good amount of bass. i'll be running these through a denon 2809. i want to buy asap so any feed back would be great/ thanks

LeRoy
09-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Hello,

You've just described the KEF's perfectly....good amount of bass and BRIGHT highs. If you mate the KEF with Denon then the highs might even get higher.

I used to own a pair if IQ3 Kef speaker and I just could not handle the upper frequencies but it appears you may really like that attribute.The bass was quite outstanding though.

LeRoy

Hyfi
09-14-2011, 03:03 AM
The Danes will have the bass and highs also but might like more current to bring out the true potential. I have both the 82s and 42s.

The 60 is pretty old and were replaced with the 62 many years ago but if taken care of should still be a great speaker.

I use amps to drive the 82s but the 42s are my rears driven now by an Integra 30.3 and previously with an HK AVR635 with decent sound.

rightaway
09-14-2011, 04:02 AM
the kef seems to draw a lot of power. what gauge wire should i run?

rightaway
09-14-2011, 06:33 AM
are there any advantages of the dynaaudio over the kef? does anybody what they cost new?

LeRoy
09-14-2011, 05:27 PM
the kef seems to draw a lot of power. what gauge wire should i run?

If this is the Kef Model that you are considering then it's supposed to be an 8 Ohm speaker so you don't need a lot of power to drive them. Speakers that are 4 Ohms certainly require more power than an 8 Ohm speaker.

Is this the KEF you are considering?
REFERENCE 201/2 (http://www.kef.com/us/loudspeakers/reference/201)

rightaway
09-14-2011, 06:29 PM
i dont think he is going to sell now. i want to buy used. tower speakers- $300-400 for a pair. what other brand should i look for?

rightaway
09-14-2011, 06:31 PM
they were theses

rightaway
09-14-2011, 06:31 PM
what is a good site for used speakers. i feel like pulling my hair out. i did so much research on these.

LeRoy
09-14-2011, 07:04 PM
what is a good site for used speakers. i feel like pulling my hair out. i did so much research on these.

You might want to check these listings in Audiogon.

AudiogoN Search: kef (http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?0&1&fromurl&zzkef)

LeRoy
09-14-2011, 07:07 PM
i dont think he is going to sell now. i want to buy used. tower speakers- $300-400 for a pair. what other brand should i look for?

You may want to investigate the XLS Series from Cerwin Vega.

Cerwin Vega - Pro Audio, Home Audio, Subwoofers, Speakers, Amplifiers (http://www.cerwinvega.com/)

rightaway
09-14-2011, 07:23 PM
cerwin vega looks nice but out of my price range. i only want to spend 300-400 for a pair of really nice speakers used. i have been all ebay and craigs list. there are just to many brands out there, i'm so confused

Hyfi
09-15-2011, 03:19 AM
You already mentioned you were going to get a decent sub. If you do that, you may want to consider a really nice pair of Stand Mount speakers to match with a good sub. You are not going to get a "Really Good" pair of floorstanders for under $400 unless you find someone desperate to get rid of something quick. Also, you will need to be concerned with the age and possible need of re-coning older speakers depending on how and where they were used.

EDIT:

I am not the biggest Polk follower but recently got a smaller set for a ridiculous price from New Egg that are fine for my home gym driven with a CDP straight to a Hafler 9180 amp.

If you stretch your budget just a wee bit, you could get these

Newegg.com - Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Cherry) Each (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290209)

rightaway
09-15-2011, 04:31 AM
how do the polks sound? are the highs rich and good bass? they look nice

rightaway
09-15-2011, 04:32 AM
and i think that i speakers were 800-1000 new a few years ago that they should be around 300-400 now

Hyfi
09-15-2011, 05:36 AM
how do the polks sound? are the highs rich and good bass? they look nice

Polk has it's own sound and I have only heard the Monitor 30s I have and the largest newer ones they have out with the side woofer.

Compared to my Danes or older Clearfields (von Schwiekert), they were not my cup. I got the smaller ones from newegg for like $90 shipped and they are fine for their use.

Have you gone out and just listened to different speakers? It's really hard for people to tell you what a pair sounds like unless you both drive them with the same gear in a similar setting.

I pointed out the Polks because for what you want to spend, you won't find much better unless like I said, someone is giving a pair of good ones away for a steal.

rightaway
09-15-2011, 08:38 AM
im buying used so its hard to hear. how is the bass on the polks?

Hyfi
09-15-2011, 08:58 AM
im buying used so its hard to hear. how is the bass on the polks?

Adequate but not Dynaudio quality

Enochrome
09-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Audiogon is a safe source and their are bargains to be had if you consistently check. The only caveat to Audiogon is the shipping for floorstanders will be mucho. I agree that KEF is a great direction, also maybe Paradigm (although their high frequencies can roll off).....maybe Monitor Audio? But for $300-400 maybe you will have better luck with large monitors, ala Paradigm,Monitor Audio,KEF,KLIPSCH(?), and older B&W. If you go large monitors, I would not go smaller than a 6" woofer, so you don't compromise too much bass.

....oh yeah, for floorstanders what about Axiom? They do not come used very often but when they do they'll be a steal because they are already priced low when new.

Good Luck!

LeRoy
09-15-2011, 05:27 PM
rightaway, I agree with Enochrome's recommendations.

You may want to consider Infinity at the price point you are looking to stay in.

Infinity Primus P363 Floorstanding Speaker (each) at Audioholics Store (http://store.audioholics.com/product.php/3304/0)

rightaway
09-15-2011, 05:49 PM
he is now selling the kefs for 325 for the par? good deal?

harley .guy07
09-15-2011, 08:08 PM
I Have the Audience 60's and in my experience they are the best speakers that have been mentioned here but of course that is my opinion and probably not everyone's here. I have had mine for a little while and they do like more power than most receivers can pack so I would not recommend them for receiver use and Dynaudio's musical presentation is probably the some of the most musical out there in my opinion but they are for a certain type of listener kind of like panel speakers and single driver open baffles are as well. They have a depth to them with bass way above their size but they throw detail hard to beat. But through all the people that I know own them and have heard them would agree they have never been good receiver speakers because of their overbuilt nature for their size and rather low sensitivity but for me the over built part means that they will deliver the dynamic goods for their size and will last a long time and always be contender in their class plus they make all their own drivers, cabinets and crossovers as well which usually yields superior results in my opinion.

rightaway
09-16-2011, 06:58 PM
i'm going back and fourth about the Dynaudio Audience 60 vs kef reference model one‏. the kef are about $100 cheaper. i dont want to every second guess my self. there are to many choices.

rightaway
09-17-2011, 07:32 PM
any finally suggestions?

architecttim
10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Hi Rightaway,
I have a pair of Audience 60 in 9/10 condition in San Francisco, CA. Are you still interested in buying a great pair?
Tim

Hyfi
10-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi Rightaway,
I have a pair of Audience 60 in 9/10 condition in San Francisco, CA. Are you still interested in buying a great pair?
Tim

Do you have a center to sell? Or know of one?

KortneyMatherne
10-20-2011, 09:48 PM
hallo