Splitting Hairs or Big Divide [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Hairs or Big Divide

Enochrome
09-11-2011, 07:26 AM
So I have settled on the fact that my place is too small for electrostatics.

I am now looking at a pair of Thiel CS1.5 or a pair of Vandersteen 2C
What am I sacrificing if I take one over the other?

I think I can get the Thiel for $350 and the 2C's for $300.

Also, I was considering a nostaglia buy of Rectilinear lll high boys for $80. Is that a waste?

I have never heard any of these speakers.

Thanks

blackraven
09-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Both are good speakers and you cant go wrong with either one. Just but what sounds best. Those are great prices if they are in good condition. I have always been a fan of Theils, very detailed neutral sound. However I cant say that I have every listened to a Vandersteen speaker.

Enochrome
09-11-2011, 09:49 AM
How would you compare the Thiel sound to your MMG's?

blackraven
09-11-2011, 10:08 AM
How would you compare the Thiel sound to your MMG's?

They have totally different sounds. Think out side the box with Maggies. You have to hear a planar speaker and hear the difference yourself. The sound is not for every one. They produce a wall of sound. The Theils will have better bass and probably better detail. Midrange will be better with the MMG's. You will have small sweet spot with the MMG's as well as they tend to beam some. If you listen to a lot of vocal or acoustical music the MMG's age great.

Both speakers need good amplification 100wpc for the Maggies (high current and at least 100wpc if you like to listen at loud volumes and want to get the best dynamics) and MMG's will reveal weaknesses in your sytem. The Theils are not very efficient ( I think that they are between 83 and 85 dB sensitivity) and will need a good amp as well. Speaker placement is an issue with Maggies, they need to be about 2.5-3 feet from the wall. They will produce more bass if placed near the corners of the room.

My favorite speakers are Maggies, Salks, Theils and the upper level PSB's.

This review may help-

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Thiel CS1.5 Loudspeakers (8/1999) (http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/thiel_cs15.htm)

2low2rl
09-15-2011, 10:08 PM
wow. those are not cheap speakers.